Administration Building or Administrative Building or Building of Administration

tommyhoi11

Chinese-China
In my university, there is a place where called "Administration Building". That's a premise to the office with administration function, but what I am curious that "Administration" is a noun, is it suitable to attach to another noun and work as a "adjective"? Besides, can we use "Administrative Building" or "Building of Administration" to replace it?

• Linkway

British English
    Administration Building is fine - it is the place where a lot of admin is done.

Someone who works there MIGHT have the job title of Senior Administrative Officer.

Note that the building does not do the admin; the admin is done by administrative staff, ie people.

More widely, nouns are often used to modify other nouns, ie to be used like adjectives.

For example:
    --- The England football team manager. (Note only "manager" is being used as a noun here.)
    --- China National Nuclear Corporation.

"Building of Administration" would sound very odd to me, perhaps because it is unusual and sounds as though administration is being built.

However, comparable terms are very common, such as:

College of Art and Design.

School of Architecture.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    We had a building in our university called Administration Building too. We said Admin Building but clearly 'Admin' stands for 'Administration'.

The noun+noun compound is fairly common in English. We talk about the water department, a government minister, the police headquarters and so on.

tommyhoi11

Chinese-China
    Administration Building is fine - it is the place where a lot of admin is done.

Someone who works there MIGHT have the job title of Senior Administrative Officer.

Note that the building does not do the admin; the admin is done by administrative staff, ie people.

More widely, nouns are often used to modify other nouns, ie to be used like adjectives.

For example:
    --- The England football team manager. (Note only "manager" is being used as a noun here.)
    --- China National Nuclear Corporation.

"Building of Administration" would sound very odd to me, perhaps because it is unusual and sounds as though administration is being built.

However, comparable terms are very common, such as:

College of Art and Design.

School of Architecture.
    Your answer are very useful to me, thank you!

< Previous | Next >