administration organisatrice d'un concours

< Previous | Next >

Songbird17

Spanish/English
In this sentence, what is meant by "concours"? I translated it as "competitive exam" because that was the best I could find. The whole sentence is strange to me, but I will open other threads for the other words I'm having a hard time with. Any help with this one would be appreciated. Thank you!
This is the orignal sentence:
En ce qui concerne la reconnaissance professionnelle de diplômes étrangers, il appartient aux employeurs ou à l'administration organisatrice d'un concours d'apprécier si les titres présentés consacrent les connaissances appropriées à l'emploi postulé.

This is my attempt at rendering the sentence, specifically this word:
As far as the professional recognition of foreign diplomas is concerned, it is up to employers or the administration organizing the competitive exam to assess if the degrees/diplomas presented sanction/give the knowledge appropriate to the employment applied for.

Thank you!

• Siiri

English
    Maybe you can drop the idea of "concours" if it's not important and just say "it is up to employers or recruiting government agencies (or "recruiting public service agencies") to decide/judge whether candidates have the right qualifications for the job/for the position they are applying for"

Hope that helps.

Songbird17

Spanish/English
    No, I don't think that would be a good idea, Siiri because concours is part of the sentencea nd I think it shouldn't be deleted in the English rendering of it. Thank you for your help though because I like how you worded the sentence. :)

< Previous | Next >