administration tasks/ administrative tasks

Mahba

Farsi
Hi everyone, I've heard people saying administration tasks and administrative tasks. I'm trying to figure out which one is the right one. I think it should be administrative tasks as administrative is an adjective but I'm not sure as I've seen both.

He helped her with her business administration tasks.

He helped her with her business administrative tasks.

Thank you!

• lingobingo

English - England
    He helped her with her business administration tasks :tick:
    (both business and administration are attributive nouns – acting as adjectives)
    He helped her with her business administrative tasks :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
    He helped her with her business tasks :tick:
    He helped her with her administrative tasks :tick:

Mahba

Farsi
    He helped her with her business administration tasks :tick:
    (both business and administration are attributive nouns – acting as adjectives)
    He helped her with her business administrative tasks :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
    He helped her with her business tasks :tick:
    He helped her with her administrative tasks :tick:
    Thank you!

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Business administration" sounds like a school course. Did he help her with her BA homework?

He helped her with her business administrative tasks.
    As LB says, there is no such thing as a "business administrative task".

Hi everyone, I've heard people saying administration tasks and administrative tasks. I'm trying to figure out which one is the right one.
    Unfortunately you put the word "business" before both of them, changing the meaning of both. You didn't hear people say that.

An "administrative task" is any work that you do that is administrative. For example: making schedules, interview new hires, writing performance reviews of workers, reviewing salaries for annual renewal, etc. This phrase is very common, since every company has people doing this.

An "administration task" is worked performed by a person who is "part of the administration". For that to exist, you must split all company employees into 2 categories: workers and administration. This phrase is not common. But unions say this. Unions lead a strike of the "workers", but the employees in the administration are not part of the strike.

Mahba

Farsi
    "Business administration" sounds like a school course. Did he help her with her BA homework?

As LB says, there is no such thing as a "business administrative task".

Unfortunately you put the word "business" before both of them, changing the meaning of both. You didn't hear people say that.

An "administrative task" is any work that you do that is administrative. For example: making schedules, interview new hires, writing performance reviews of workers, reviewing salaries for annual renewal, etc. This phrase is very common, since every company has people doing this.

An "administration task" is worked performed by a person who is "part of the administration". For that to exist, you must split all company employees into 2 categories: workers and administration. This phrase is not common. But unions say this. Unions lead a strike of the "workers", but the employees in the administration are not part of the strike.
    I was trying to convey that he helped with the administration tasks of her business.

S1m0n

English
    I was trying to convey that he helped with the administration tasks of her business.
    The problem is that "business administration" and "administrative tasks" are both recognized terms, and they clash when you put them together. "Her business's administrative tasks' is clearer.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Every company is a business. You don't need to add the word "business" if you are doing work in a company. Nobody at a company is doing administrative tasks that aren't part of the business.

< Previous | Next >