administrative conditions (medicine)

whodouthinkyouare

Spanish
I'm translating a medical text. I think the phrase "administrative conditions" is a mistake. I would really appreciate if you could help me with the meaning. Thanks

General disorders and administrative conditions

Very Common Fatigue
Pyrexia
Chills
Asthenia
Oedema peripheral
Influenza like illness

• ewie

English English
    I'm translating a medical text.
    Could you give us a bit more info, WhoDo? e.g. what's the text about? what's the purpose of it?

I know that medicine ~ or rather healthcare ~ in the UK is crammed full of utterly impenetrable jargon*, so am not convinced that administrative conditions is a mistake.

*EDIT: P.S. I'm not trying to claim that British healthcare professionals are any better at impenetrable jargon than those in other English-speaking countries:D

Last edited:

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    I agree that it makes no sense. A little more context would help.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's obviously BE. "Oedema peripheral" would be Peripheral edema in AE, and "Asthenia" would be I'm not sure what (it sounds rather outdated), possibly "General debility".

Perhaps wait for Andy . . .

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    At the European Medicines Agency site here there is on page 7 a similar set of suspected adverse reactions (to vaccines). The category (systems organ class or SOC) they come under is termed "general disorders and administration site conditions". Asthenia (lack or loss of strength or energy) is one of the reactions mentioned.

Still better wait for confirmation by the experts.

Edit:Ah, I see what you mean Parla-you mentioned asthenia as a British term. Yes, this seems to be from a British source.

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    "General disorders and administrative conditions" appears in an Irish Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC) of of a drug:
    http://www.medicines.ie/medicine/66...+for+infusion+or+Solution+for+Injection,+2ml/

This phrase is not used in the UK in the BNF (British National Formulary), where the phrase mentioned by velisarius occurs.

I find it a little strange that the Irish SPC has not followed the recommendations of Article 8(3)(j) of Directive 2001/83/EC, which lays down the headings in an SPC/SmPC (although this is issued under the heading of Guidelines). Note that Pfizer is a US company.

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    is termed "general disorders and administration site conditions".
    Aha! Thus far I had been labouring under the misapprehension that "administration" was something to do with admin, you know, paperwork, pencil-pushing, that sort of thing. Now I remember that when we give someone "medicine" (be it as a pill, an injection, an ointment, or (yes!) an elixir), the jargon term for this is "administering drugs". Thus an "administration site" might be "where you stick the needle", and so the OP's "administrative conditions" might mean something as simple as the circumstances under which drugs are given.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    That site is a compilation of pharmaceutical summaries published by an Irish Pharmaceutical association. Another drug has "General Disorders and Administration Site Conditions" in the same box as the one cited above. And another. It's not clear who wtore these documents or if they conform to some regulatory agency (the one responsible for drug approval in Ireland?) but the meaning is clear now (relating to the site of administration) - perhaps the one in question escaped the attention of an editor along the way?
    Edit: the wording shows up in European documents related to the centralized procedure for drug approval. Much of the process is used an all the EU countries with each country having supplemental processes. The "administrative site" example seems to be the exception - the others use "administration site".

Last edited:

Aquahaik

Vietnamese - English
    This phrase often showed in Summary of drug characteristic.

I guess you saw it in Adverse effects part, right?

I think it means status of the place where the patients took medication (Oral, Injection, Intravenous, Intramuscular... ). The medication maybe make a adverse effect on this place.

< Previous | Next >