Administrative deportation

Rosebod

Persian
Dear friends,
Could you help me to find out what "administrative deportation" means in the following text?

Administrative deportation is a fancy name for a simple procedure. I meant that NKVD troops or convoy guards arrived at a household and told its inhabitants to leave. Sometimes they had a day to prepare, sometimes a few minutes.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    That would be deportation ordered and carried out by the administration - the government.

Most likely this is a direct translation of the term from Russian.

kentix

English - U.S.
    It sounds to me like the gist of the meaning (euphemism) is that some bureaucrat made the decision you had to leave and there was no legal "due process". You didn't get a hearing or go through any other legal procedure to dispute the decision. They just showed up at your house and forced you out with no warning or notice.

Rosebod

Persian
    Ahha! But all of the deportations in this book I'm reading have been carried out by the Soviet Union, the government! So, why here, after using the word "deportation" many times across the book, it focuses on "administrative" type that was uses by Czars as well?!

Uncle Jack

British English
    I was not aware of any distinction - I don't think it exists in ordinary English - but apparently there is a legal distinction between deportation as a punishment and deportation for simply being an unwanted person. The quote below is from a British legal website (Deportation & Administrative Removal) and quotes UK law. They use "administrative removal" rather than "administrative deportation", but it appears to match "administrative deportation" in your book:
    Administrative removal is the process by which certain categories of people may be removed from the UK. Usually, individuals are removed from the UK because they breached the immigration law. Deportation involves an entirely distinct legal process and is reserved for those who have committed serious criminal offences.​

boozer

Bulgarian
    .... some bureaucrat made the decision ...
    NKVD, in communist Russia... Of course some high-enough-ranking communist party official made the decision...
    .... and there was no legal "due process"....
    ...and that was all the legal due process it took and all the process that actually existed in a country where the communists had unlimited power. Courts may or may not have rubber-stamped the decision.

neal41

USA, English
    Administrative removal is the process by which certain categories of people may be removed from the UK. Usually, individuals are removed from the UK because they breached the immigration law. Deportation involves an entirely distinct legal process and is reserved for those who have committed serious criminal offences.​
    In the United States deportation is a general term/concept and is not limited to people who have committed crimes.

I tend to agree with the interpretation of kentix that administrative deportation is deportation ordered or approved by some bureaucrat/administrator without a hearing or any judicial process.