administrative division of forest estate

ingarten

Ukrainian - Russian
Question abut an "administrative division" of forests.
If we talk about forest estate and the units of mesurement to keep track of the forests some one has what units are used? In Ukraine forests are devided into "blocks" (kvartals (quarter) what about your country?
Take a look at the picture. It is of a frorest that is devided into "kvartals" each of them has it's own number. In what way do you devide the forests in your country?

Attachments

Last edited:
  • kentix

English - U.S.
    I don't know if we divide our forests that away. I have never heard of it but the people in charge might have a system they use.

In the old days when the settlers were moving west they divided up agricultural land into "sections". A section was one square mile, i.e. a square that was one mile on each side. That was 640 acres. One farmer might receive a quarter section - 160 acres.

Quarter section - Wikipedia

ingarten

Ukrainian - Russian
    Thank you very much @kentix That's what I was looking for. Would it be clear for native speakers this sentence, "
    According to the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) record Yevtukh brothers were buried in 19-20 quarter sections of Bykyvnia forested area."? Would you change anything?

se16teddy

English - England
    Who are you writing your translation for? The typical English speaker will have no idea what you mean by "quarter section". It might be different if you are writing for people with a special interest in forest ownership in the Ukraine. (Particularly as a "kvartal" seems not to be a quarter of anything.)

Myridon

English - US
    It probably depends a lot on who this "you" is and what "administer" means. I imagine the logging companies have different maps than the National Park service. :)

ingarten

Ukrainian - Russian
    @Myridon I asked the question really badly, I admit. Nevertherless, I was given the answer I was looking for i.e. sections. Like here in the picture attached. I would really appreciate if you help edit my question to make sense.

Attachments

kentix

English - U.S.
    From that map it does appear they are using sections for forest land, as well. But as teddy says, that's not a word that most people will understand the meaning of since it's not part of their everyday lives. And keep in mind it has a very specific meaning- an ideal section is a perfect square, one mile on a side.

A quarter section is only 1/4th of a section. This system is specific to the U.S. (And probably Canada, too.)

Section (United States land surveying) - Wikipedia

View from an airplane of central Indiana farmland.

Last edited:

ingarten

Ukrainian - Russian
    The above isn't clear to me.
    What it means it that there's a forest area that was used as a graveyard. The forest areas in Ukraine are devided into "kvartals". Each kvartal has a name which includes the number. So, there's a Bykyvnia forest. The 2 brothers are buried there. Since the forest is very large the author mentions the exact "kvartals" i.e. 19-20. Check this out Bykivnia graves - Wikipedia

ingarten

Ukrainian - Russian
    Who are you writing your translation for? The typical English speaker will have no idea what you mean by "quarter section". It might be different if you are writing for people with a special interest in forest ownership in the Ukraine. (Particularly as a "kvartal" seems not to be a quarter of anything.)
    I work in a museum. This is for the visitors, who don't speak Ukrainian, to read. My goal is to make the translation understandable for them.

The Newt

English - US
    What it means it that there's a forest area that was used as a graveyard. The forest areas in Ukraine are devided into "kvartals". Each kvartal has a name which includes the number. So, there's a Bykyvnia forest. The 2 brothers are buried there. Since the forest is very large the author mentions the exact "kvartals" i.e. 19-20. Check this out Bykivnia graves - Wikipedia
    You should say something like "in sectors / sections 19-20 of the Bykyvnia forested area."

< Previous | Next >