administrative screening instrument

Renatrix

polski
"The National Task Group Early Detection Screen for Dementia (NTG-EDSD) is an informant-based rating tool for use with adults with intellectual and developmental disability who are suspected of having changes in thinking, behavior, and adaptive skills suggestive of mild cognitive impairment or dementia. It is considered an administrative, and not a clinical assessment, tool."
This is a quote from a manual explaining the use of this tool (available at http://aadmd.org/sites/default/files/NTGEDSDmanual-bangor version-e.pdf). I don't understand what 'administrative' means in this context.
I have another sentence: The National Task Group on Intellectual Disabilities and Dementia Practices identified a workable administrative screening instrument (http://aadmd.org/sites/default/files/Vienna-AE-NTG-10-5-12.pdf)

• se16teddy

English - England
    The purpose of an administrative assessment is to maximize the efficiency of the care service. For example, when you arrive in A&E at a busy time of day, nursing staff ask you questions to establish whether you are a priority.

The purpose of a clinical assessment is to maximize the benefit to the patient. When you eventually get to see a doctor, his main concern is your welfare.

Last edited:

Renatrix

polski
    The purpose of an administrative assessment is to maximize the efficiency of the care service. For example, when you arrive in A&E at a busy time of day, nursing staff ask you questions to establish whether you are a priority.

The purpose of a clinical assessment is to maximize the benefit to the patient. When you eventually get to see a doctor, his main concern is your welfare.
    Thank you, se16teddy. I think I understand the difference. But does 'administrative' in this context has anything to do with the word (and its general meaning) "administration'? (I'm supposed to translate 'administrative tool' into Polish.)

wandle

English - British
    It is considered an administrative, and not a clinical assessment, tool."
    The contrast here is between administrative and clinical assessment.
    Clinical assessment means assessment by a doctor or nurse for purposes of medical treatment.

Administrative assessment means assessment by an administrator (not medically qualified) for purposes of management.

As regards the first assessment at an A&E clinic, that is sometimes called triage, and it is made by a nurse, on medical grounds, as a preliminary assessment of priority for treatment. The idea is to make sure that genuinely urgent patients are not put in a queue behind non-urgent cases. It is really a clinical assessment, even though it is about managing different cases.

Last edited:

wandle

English - British
    That will depend upon what the organisation in question is. If it is a residence, then the non-medical work of managing the home is administrative work.
    It might be necessary to assess patients individually for the provision they need in that respect.

Renatrix

polski
    Maybe "administrative" has something to do with the fact that this tool is targeted at non-professionals (families/caregivers of people with dementia, NGOs)?

< Previous | Next >