Administrative Terms

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
Hi, all of you, Wordreferencepals.

It is sometimes difficult for me to find what I have in my mind. That is, such an equivalent. For example:

1-To get a foreign visa, I go up or correspond the foreign Embassy , get and fill in an application form, I have it signed by my own employer department, re-submit to and have it signed by the Ambassador and get visa approved ,eventually.

1-My question is this:

What is called this activity I have frequently done? Is it called” official transactions” or “official affairs” or what?

2-My simple request is this:

I need “the Administrative terms” concerning activities done daily by a clerk or a secretary .That is, when a document is arrived at an official office, received, registered and numbered such as :“Due in”, “Due out” and the like.

Sooner not later, I be very lucky to read your helpful responses, pals.

Ayed’s regards

• Tobycek

England, English
    Hi Ayed,

Not sure about the second question - I don't quite understand what you're referring to, but I think for the first one a good word would be "bureaucracy" or maybe more specifically "immigration administration". Is this what you were looking for?

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Tobycek,Thank you for your comment.
    I mean when you go up ... come back home fill in an application form , submit it to such an official office , get it approved , the activity you do .Dealing with such an official office or department. Or when you go up to the traffic department , fill in an application form to get a Driving License "the action"

Nick

USA, English
    Maybe you want the verb apply?

"I applied for my visa yesterday." This means that you did everything nessessary to get a visa (for example: you got the forms and filled them out) and now you are waiting for something else to happen (for example: you are now waiting for an official to approve your visa). This definition of apply is similar to "request something" or "ask for something".

You can apply for many things, for example:
    apply for a line of credit
    apply for a loan
    apply for a job
    apply for college (also: apply to college)
    apply for a leave of absence
    apply for a visa
    apply for a driver license​

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Nick said:
    Maybe you want the verb apply?

"I applied for my visa yesterday." This means that you did everything nessessary to get a visa (for example: you got the forms and filled them out) and now you are waiting for something else to happen (for example: you are now waiting for an official to approve your visa). This definition of apply is similar to "request something" or "ask for something".

You can apply for many things, for example:
    apply for a line of credit

apply for a loan
    apply for a job
    apply for college (also: apply to college)
    apply for a leave of absence
    apply for a visa
    apply for a driver license
    Nick , thank you very much.
    You were about to say it.I mean """all the steps""" I do when getting such an official document.It is as "business transactions".I mean "dealing with official authorities".

Eiether "official dealing" or "official transactions".
    I ma not sure yet.
    Thank you in advance

David

Banned
    Paperwork. To get a tourist visa for the US you have to go through a lot of paperwork: birth certificate, passport, financial documents, parental consent. You have to wait in line for an appointment, then show all you documents, fill in (British) forms, fill out (American) forms, a lot of "red tape."... Technically I suppose transactions would be a good word, or arrangments: you have to make all the arrangements properly or you won´t get your visa... Or maybe better would be formalities. If you neglect any of the formalities, you will have to start all over again on another day.

Is that what you mean?

Tobycek

England, English
    Yes, I'd agree with that - "paperwork" definitely is a very appropriate word for this.

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    David.You have caught it for me.Sure, it is "paperwork".Why? Because I looked it up in my English/Arabic Dictionary and it is as you have just hunted for.
    I also have hunted the synonym of it .It is "busywork".
    Tobycek.You've paved the way for Mr.David.
    Artrella.I have always noticed that you are in postion of"leg over" .Can't you manage your "setting"?
    I am just joking ,Artrella.
    My cordial regards for you

Artrella

Banned
    BA
    Spanish-Argentina
    ayed said:
    Artrella.I have always noticed that you are in postion of"leg over" .Can't you manage your "setting"?
    I am just joking ,Artrella.
    My cordial regards for you
    Oh! you mean my avatar??? Well, I like those dollies, and I like to be legs over!!! It's nice and comfortable and healthy for your legs!!!
    ;) :p ;)

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Artrella said:
    Oh! you mean my avatar??? Well, I like those dollies, and I like to be legs over!!! It's nice and comfortable and healthy for your legs!!!
    ;) :p ;)
    Sure , Artrella.I have been thinking of what would be your reaction about this joke.Why?Because I have forgotten to mention your avatar.However, dealing with smart pals like you save me from such accusations.
    Thank you Artrella.

I meant your avatar NOT you, personally.

Thank you all .

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    What about "Administrative terms"

I mean :

payroll of personnel , shredder, staples tool , recording a documen and given a number "due in" , due out"circular note" and the like.

Nick

USA, English
    shredder, stapler, staples, paper clips, folders, boxes saying "in" and "out" == "office supplies" (things found in an office)

The things with information on them (payroll, record with numbers, memos, notes) == "office documents" or "documents" or "paperwork"

Is this what you are asking or did I miss the point again? :p

ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    Nick said:
    shredder, stapler, staples, paper clips, folders, boxes saying "in" and "out" == "office supplies" (things found in an office)

The things with information on them (payroll, record with numbers, memos, notes) == "office documents" or "documents" or "paperwork"

Is this what you are asking or did I miss the point again? :p
    Yup! You've really done it.If there is any spiderwebsite ,then be mentioned right here, please.

jacinta

USA English
    ayed said:
    I also have hunted the synonym of it .It is "busywork".
    Hello, ayed:

I agree that paperwork is the correct term. I think, however, that some people may disagree with the statement that paperwork equals busywork. Maybe in some cases they could be considered, especially by "outsiders" or "laypeople", to be synonyms. Busywork is something you do to keep your hands busy without any special purpose or gain. Paperwork, hopefully, will not fall into this category. :)

Best regards in this New Year!

Nick

USA, English
    For me, "busywork" can definitely be "paperwork". Stupid assignments in school are "busywork".

All paperwork can be busywork, but not all busywork can be paperwork. In other words, busywork can be many things but paperwork only has to do with papers.

Tobycek

England, English
    "Busywork" is not used at all in the UK. At least, I have never heard it. Does it mean something like "unnecessary work", then?

jacinta

USA English
    Tobycek said:
    "Busywork" is not used at all in the UK. At least, I have never heard it. Does it mean something like "unnecessary work", then?
    Yes. Teachers will give students meaningless worksheets to do in class as time fillers. We also call it "busywork". I still don't equate busywork with paperwork, though. Paperwork may seem trivial but unfortunately it is necessary at times until the system changes.

< Previous | Next >