admission by selection

renetta

Italy, Italian
Could you please check that it sounds English? Thank you very much.

"Admission is by selection. Entry requirements are talent, a good artistic and technical preparation, as well as a command of general knowledge and film history and techniques. All candidates must also be motivated to undertake this complex educational course. The number of places available is 16."

• pieanne

Belgium/French
    "Admission is by selection. Entry requirements are: talent, a good artistic and technical preparation, as well as a command of general knowledge of film history and techniques. All candidates must also be motivated to undertake this complex educational course. The number of places available is 16."
    Otherwise, it sounds fine to me.

emma42

British English
    I'm not sure about a good artistic and technical preparation. To me, it is not clear what preparation refers to.

Also, I would prefer All candidates must have the high level of motivation necessary to undertake...

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I'm not sure that one can have a "command" of "general knowledge". The very generality of the knowledge would preclude one having a command of it. I think we all have our areas within general knowledge of which we might have a command.

I'd ask for a breadth of general knowledge.

renetta

Italy, Italian
    By preparation I mean that they should have assimilated all the knowledge required at that level. How would you reword the sentece?

renetta

Italy, Italian
    The fact is that they should know two things:
    1. general knowledge (politics, culture, entertainment)
    2. Knowledge of film history and techniques

emma42

British English
    talent, a good grounding in artistic and technical skills, an understanding of film history and techniques, and a reasonable level of general knowledge

< Previous | Next >