admission to the exam

Yaroslava

Russian
One of my friend is in the second year of the Institute and he's passing the exams. But before that he had to get credits to be allowed to pass the final exams of the year. How can I say it in English? Is it an admission to the exams or a permission to the exam?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think you mean that, at the end of the first year, your friend had to have a sufficient number of credits in order to be allowed to take his end-of-year exams and progress to his second year of study. Is that right?

We "take exams" and, if we satisfy the examiners, we "pass" those exams.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    One of my friend is in the second year of the Institute and he's passing the exams. But before that he had to get credits to be allowed to pass the final exams of the year. How can I say it in English? Is it an admission to the exams or a permission to the exam?
    "Admission" refers to money you pay to see a movie or concert. If it costs a student $100 to take the exam, that is the "admission". This situation is different.

The usual terms are pre-requisites and requirements. So you could say that completing a specific set of courses, as well as getting enough course credits, are pre-requisites for taking the exam. They are requirements that must be met, to take the exam.

But that is probably not correct. Probably, those are pre-requisites for graduating (or advancing to become a second-year student). They are not willing to give the exam to a student until he has completed all other pre-requisites for graduating/advancing.

< Previous | Next >