Admission V.S Admission Office

Beth_Lee

Chinese
Hi everyone!

This is a question about the difference between admission and admission office.

We don't say:
1. Did you send all the required documents to the Admission?
~ It's wrong, right? Admission doesn't mean admission office. I think we cannot use "admission" to mean "admission office" even in informal speech.

Admission is the act of accepting somebody into an institution, organisation etc, or the right to enter a place.
But Admission Office is the place where staff work and handle the admission.
So we need "Admission Office" here.
Therefore, it should be:
2. Did you send all the required documents to the admission office?

Am I right? We cannot shorten it because they don't mean the same thing.

Please comment.
Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Biffo

English - England
    Did you send all the require documents to the Admission? :cross:

Did you send all the require documents to Admissions? :tick: (often 'Admissions' is used as an abbreviation for the Admissions Office)

Beth_Lee

Chinese
    Hello Biffo!

So , I should say either:
    1. Did you send all the required documents to Admissions?
    Did you send all the required documents to the Admission Office?

But never "Admission". Because that doesn't mean "Admission office". It means
    the act of accepting somebody into an institution, organisation etc, or the right to enter a place.
    While "Admissions" is the abbreviation of "Admission Office".
    Is that the same in American English? And in your sentence, do I have to add the 'the' before "admissions"?

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

George French

English - UK
    I see no problems with "Did you send all the required documents to the Admission?"

GF..

They all end up in an office (real or virtual...) or even many offices that deal with admissions.

Beth_Lee

Chinese
    Are you saying that "Admissions" and "Admission" are both abbreviations for "Admission(s) Office"??
    Thanks!

Egmont

English - U.S.
    "Admissions" is. "Admission" is not.

Words such as "office" or "department" are often omitted when the meaning of a word such as "Admissions" is clear. For example, in business one might ask "Have Finance and Legal reviewed this contract yet?" in referring to the Finance and Legal departments, "Engineering gave the design changes to Manufacturing last week" in referring to the Engineering and Manufacturing departments, or "Chicago hasn't reported its sales yet" in referring to the Chicago sales office. It can be very tedious to say "Department" and similar words over and over again.

Beth_Lee

Chinese
    Hi Egmont!

Is it because "Admissions" is short for "Admissions Office" but not "Admission Office"?
    Thanks!

< Previous | Next >