adopt a communication

< Previous | Next >

Tartar

Italian
Hello!

Trying to understand what they mean exactly in the following sentence when they say that the Communication was adopted.

"This Communication, adopted on 28 April 2010, sets out a strategy for encouraging the development and uptake of clean and energy efficient vehicles"

The sentence is about a Communication from the EU Commission's Directorate-General for Enterprise and Industry.
I instinctively think that the strategy set out in the Communication can be adopted, while when referring to a Communication I would expect a verb like issue or such.

I assume it is correct to use adopt, but is it an usual English construction or is it very specific?

Thank you very much for your help, :)

TT

• jackaustralia

Australia English
    Good question. It is not common to say "communication" as a vowel but I am not confident enough to say it is wrong. In this context it is a bit like a "memorandum."

Matching Mole

England, English
    You are quite right that a "communication" (and this a special usage of the word, meaning a "paper" or report of findings, proposals or directions) would usually be spoken of as being published, issued, released, etc., but of course the sentence is not about the publication of the communication (which has already occurred) but about the adoption of the proposals or directions set out in it. "Adopting a communication" might be considered a "shortcut" for saying "adopting the proposals set out in a communication"; the name of the thing standing for its contents as in a figure of speech known as synecdoche.

< Previous | Next >