adopt (adapt?)

< Previous | Next >

janetis

English
Bonjour,

I'm trying to communicate in a rather formal email that a client would like to adopt the French publisher's cover art for their edition of the same book forthcoming in the states. Pourrait-on dire :

" Je vous mets en contact avec [American editeur] chez [American publisher], qui aimerait savoir s'ils pourraient adopter la couverture de l’édition française."

Merci en avance pour vos conseils !

• Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    What do you want to say exactly in English? The term reprendre is more appropriate for translating your sentence to adopt the French publisher's cover, but I don't understand your title.

janetis

English
    In English (and perhaps this is publishing industry jargon) you'd say, "The American publisher is looking to adopt the French cover art for their edition." The idea using "adopt" instead of "use" being that the American publisher will be making slight modifications to the art to accomodate the English-language title, so it's an adoptation of the original art file. But I gather this is completely lost or unhelpful in French?

Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    If they want to do some minor changes to the cover I'd propose.
    ...savoir s'ils pourraient retoucher la couverture de l’édition française.
    I'd prefer retoucher that usually in such context, painting, photo... means make slight changes, rather than adapter that is open for more important changes.

tartopom

French
    I might be wrong but to me to adopt / an adoption / "adopter" means to use sth new without changing anything.
    On the contrary ' to adapt / adaptation' has sth to do with making modifications, changes.

I'm wondering, janetis, if you were not mixing up both terms.

Maîtreaupôle

anglais "Canada"
    “…s’ils pourraient reprendre la couverture de l’édition française inchangée à l’exception des modifications y apportées pour rendre le titre en anglais.”

JiPiJou

French
    the American publisher will be making slight modifications to the art to accomodate the English-language title, so it's an adoptation of the original art file.
    That is the very description of an adAptation. Such a vocabulary confusion is often the subject of one of the "Sentence correction" questions in American GMAT exams.

Last edited:

janetis

English
    I'm afraid I've very much confused all who contributed to the thread. The word is very much adopt, as in, "Fair use images are pictures that are open for users to adopt and publish" where adopt carries the connotation that this reuse will alter in some way the image, as "older, pagan religions" in this sentence: "Early Christians in Europe adopted many of the practices of the older, pagan religions."

All that to say! I'm looking for a word for "reuse" in French that is commonly used in copyright/permissions/publishing jargon.

Garoubet

French - France, Quebec
    It's retoucher une couverture as I said in #5. The most famous retouche is a photo called Picasso retouche (la couverture) de Vogue.

< Previous | Next >