adquisiciones... que realiza Cuba a Venezuela

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by flamenquita, Jul 16, 2007.

1. flamenquita

flamenquita Senior Member

Czech Republic, Czech
    Hello, I´m translating a text on relations between Cuba and Venezuela and I have come across a structure that I´m not exactly sure I understand. The whole sentence reads: El 80% de la balanza comercial entre ambos países corresponde a las adquisiciones de bienes y servicios que realiza Cuba a Venezuela.
    As I understand it, Cuba purchases goods and services from Venezuela, but I´m a bit confused with the preposition "a" - I would use "de". Could anybody help me with this?
    Thanks very much!

2. agromusica

agromusica Senior Member

Cuenca Mediterránea
    Español (alfabeto internacional)
    hello, you are right. The sentence is confusing. It is not clear which partner delivers the services. Can you give us more information?

The verb "realiza" refers to "Cuba". I would say that cuba delivers services to venezuela. The sentence is not good.

3. flamenquita

Czech Republic, Czech
    Thanks a lot! The text before this sentence gives general information on the trade relations in the Caribbean and is of no big help. However, the sentence that immediately follows could clear this up a bit:
    El 80% de la balanza comercial entre ambos países corresponde a las adquisiciones de bienes y servicios que realiza Cuba a Venezuela. Y se espera que para el 2007, el gobierno de Venezuela espera triplicar las exportaciones de bienes y servicios venezolanos hacia Cuba.
    "Y" is clearly employed here to add information. The reason I posted my inquiry is that I thought that my understanding of the sentence is insufficient and that a native speaker would understand it better. I am a bit relieved to find that you think that the sentence is really confusing. Thank you very much indeed :)

4. duran3d

duran3d Senior Member

Spain, Spanish
    Yes, the verb "realiza" refers to Cuba BUT the object is "adquisiciones", i.e.: "Cuba realiza adquisiciones de bienes y servicios". So its Venezuela who delivers services to Cuba.

@flamenquita: The next sentece you added just confirms this.

I think the first sentence is correct in Spanish. But economics are always confusing :p.

5. flamenquita

Czech Republic, Czech
    Thanks for your reply... now I feel more confused than ever. You are right, economics is tricky... Could you please take a look at my translation and say if it´s correct?
    80 % of the trade balance between the two countries is formed by Cuban purchases of Venezuelan goods and services. It is expected that for 2007 the government of Venezuela hopes to triple the exports of Venezuelan products and services to Cuba.
    As I say, I´m as confused as I could possibly be...

6. agromusica

agromusica Senior Member

Cuenca Mediterránea
    Español (alfabeto internacional)
    I still think that the sentence is very bad written. it si not a matter of economics langauage:
    "Cuba realiza adquisiciones a Venezuela" ???????????
    It makes no sense. And the Conjunction "Y" behind the "." just confirm it

But I think Durand3d has managed it to solve it an has made a good interpretation.

Flamenquita: Congratulations!!!! Your translation is a lot better than the original!!!!

(please correct my english)