adult building

< Previous | Next >

Rice1919

汉语--中国
LONDON — The other day I caught up with New Court, the London headquarters for Rothschild Bank, designed by Ellen van Loon and Rem Koolhaas of OMA. Opulent, context friendly, almost stealthy, it’s an “adult building,” as one of the architects who worked on the project half-jokingly put it.

Meaning that it’s not what you might expect from Mr. Koolhaas, who has been heard recently lamenting “the rat race of extravagance” driving trophy architecture before the market tanked, when he was such an emblematic and influential figure. As it happens, New Court was commissioned before the crash but took years to be finished. So like Mr. Koolhaas’s mantra, it’s neatly tailored for a changed climate.

I wonder why people call London headquarters for Rothschild Bank "adult building"?
what does the phrase mean?
Is it a style of building or what?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Rice1919

汉语--中国
    Where Modernity Frames Tradition
    By MICHAEL KIMMELMAN
    Published: January 9, 2013

<<Excessive quotation deleted.>>

Last edited by a moderator:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    It's not "people" who call it that; it's the writer of the article, who says the phrase was originally used by one of the architects who worked on the building. While he says that the architect was "half joking", he (Kimmelman) seems to mean it seriously. It's not a common phrase; in fact, I've never seen it before. I guess the rest of the article goes on to explain more, but from what you've quoted, he seems to be saying it's less extravagant and more practical than other buildings that have recently been built.

< Previous | Next >