adult college

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

There is a kind of college in China that is open for the person who doesn't attend the college entrance examination in grade three of high school and wants to go to college. I know this might only happen in China, but I still wondering whether this phrase would make sense to you:

"I work in an adult college."

Last edited:
  • Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    No, it wouldn't, Sun. We don't have special schools for adults who want to attend college, but some colleges offer evening classes for adults who have daytime jobs and want to take college courses in the evening. Such programs are often referred to as adult education programs or "adult-ed" classes.

Sun14

Chinese
    Thank you very much, Parla and Donny. In China, such programs are run in the same way, but people who attend it would get a degree that would be a bachelor degree in some extent. I was wondering whether people could get such degree in UK or US.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    In the UK you can get a degree through part-time or evening classes, or by so called "distance learning": the qualification is usually awarded by an accredited university but doesn't involve traditional full-time attendance.

They're obviously targeted primarily at adults rather than school-leavers, but I'm not sure how we would describe them apart from a rather clumsy "dregrees through part-time study". :confused:

Last edited:

sdgraham

USA English
    Thank you very much, Parla and Donny. In China, such programs are run in the same way, but people who attend it would get a degree that would be a bachelor degree in some extent. I was wondering whether people could get such degree in UK or US.
    In the U.S. it's entirely possible to obtain a bachelor's degree (or even advanced degrees) by studying part time.

There's no need to fool around with a "bachelor degree in some extent."

< Previous | Next >