adult-oriented fare

< Previous | Next >

amateurr

Russian
Hello,

"For the most part, children were not watching highly violent adult-oriented fare or playing shoot-em-up computer games. Instead, they were viewing material aimed at slightly older children, and not even that much of it, Garrison said."

Could you tell me what "fare" means?

Thanks!

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    'Fare' has numerous meanings; the one relevant here is literally "food" or "food supply", but these days it is commonly used to mean a supply or 'diet' of anything: something is standard fare (= what you usually get) in the video game industry, for example. So here it means the games supplied to adults, the games used or 'fed on' by adults.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I differ slightly with EB. Since games are mentioned later on, I believe that fare, in the sentence quoted, refers to television programs ["programmes" in BE].

George French

English - UK
    I differ slightly with EB. Since games are mentioned later on, I believe that fare, in the sentence quoted, refers to television programs ["programmes" in BE].
    I agree with EB. I thought it was fairly common to use fare for anything that was served up/sold/sent through the Ether or on a DVD or whatever.

In this case the medium is the tele or DVD.. (and of course more modern ways).

GF..

Matching Mole

England, English
    I'm sure there is no disagreement on the meaning of fare here: figuratively, a diet; "material provided for use, consumption, or enjoyment" [M-W]
    M-W gives an example of musical fare under this definition:
    "...both albums communicate more directly [...] than [the artists'] usual fairy-tale fare".

It's only a matter of which kind of fare is being referred to here: video or games. As games are mentioned as an alternative, I assume, like Parla, that it is video. One is not not usually said to "watch" games, either.

Packard

USA, English
    I read the entire article and they are almost deliberately vague on whether they are talking about video games, television or other media.

The O.P. quote originated from this article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Sleep/...-disrupt-preschoolers-sleep/story?id=13922338

For the most part, children were not watching highly violent adult-oriented fare or playing shoot-em-up computer games. Instead, they were viewing material aimed at slightly older children, and not even that much of it, Garrison said.

"The amount of violence wasn't huge," she said -- an average of 19 minutes a day, but it had a significant effect on daytime fatigue, difficulty getting up in the morning and the frequency of nightmares in the children studied.

< Previous | Next >