adult

< Previous | Next >

Joseph A

Kurdish
Hello everyone,

Can the word "adult" be used as follows?

1. They are adult.

2. They are an adult.

3. They are adults.

4. You are an adult.

Regards,

JA

Last edited:
  • velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    "An adult" is singular, so you can't use it for more than one person. "You" may be singular or plural, of course.

"They are adult" - who or what is "they"? Why are you using the adjective?

Joseph A

Kurdish
    "An adult" is singular, so you can't use it for more than one person. "You" may be singular or plural, of course.

"They are adult" - who or what is "they"? Why are you using the adjective?
    Thanks a lot, velisarius.
    If I tell someone or a group of people, e.g, You're fully grown up mentally and physically. Then why can't we say the following?
    1. They're adult.
    2. They're adults
    3. You're adults.
    4. You're adult.
    4. He is an adult.
    B. Can't we use the word as predicative adjectives.
    Regards,
    JA

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    'They are of age' is a possible alternative to your 1. As veli says, your 2. is incorrect, but 3. and 4. are okay.

EDIT: I was replying to your OP, not your #3.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I'm not saying your #1 is impossible, but I'd need a particular context for "They are adult".

If we simply want to say that certain people are over 18 years of age, we normally say "They are adults".

All my students are adults. They are adult learners.

Note: Please don't number your sentences as you did in # 1 and #3. It's confusing.:) Each different sentence needs its own number.

Last edited:

Joseph A

Kurdish
    I'm not saying your #1 is impossible, but I'd need a particular context for "They are adult".

If we simply want to say that certain people are over 18 years of age, we normally say "They are adults".

All my students are adults. They are adult learners.

Note: Please don't number your sentences as you did in # 1 and #3. It's confusing.:) Each different sentence needs its own number.
    Thanks a lot, velisarius.
    You're right, I should not have changed the order of my sentences as I did in my second post. Next time, I will try to avoid such confusing posts.
    Regards,
    JA

< Previous | Next >