advance copies

hly2004

Banned
chinese
Hi, everyone:

Scripts are everywhere, from the 35-page text that Prime Minister 888 read out at the opening plenary session on March 5, reviewing government policies, to the short manuscripts that local officials read aloud, their noses buried in their papers, at provincial side meetings. Nor is there any need for advance copies of these speeches, when they are distributed to reporters, to bear the caution customary in the West, "Check against delivery."

Could you please tell me the meaning of the red parts?

Best wishes.

• sarcie

English - Ireland
    advance copy
    In this context, I think the "advance copy" is a transcript of a speech given by a politician (or whoever). This transcript is distributed to journalists so that they do not need to record the speech in order to be able to accurately reproduce quotes, etc.

Check against delivery
    However, as the speaker is "live" and may, at any time, deviate (even if only slightly) from the script, the journalists are warned that they should check the transcript against what was actually said at the meeting/conference.

hly2004

Banned
    chinese
    Thank you, sarcie:)

Could you tell me which one-advance copy or the acual words in speech-prevails? Because I think it's key to understanding the idea of the context.

sarcie

English - Ireland
    The actual words of the speech always prevail, I think - you would be entering dangerous territory if you quoted something that was never actually said.

However, in the context, I think that the person giving the speech is said to be reading the advance copy aloud, without deviation or improvisation, therefore removing the need for the "Check against delivery" warning (i.e. the politician is so predictable that you know for definite that what comes out of his/her mouth will be exactly what is written in the advance copy, no more, no less).

< Previous | Next >