advance (transitive/intransitive)

Allegro molto

Japanese
Hello

After a few weeks of battling with bishop’s weed I already see that I’m not going to win. But I’m not going to lose, either. Without going too deeply into political metaphor, I can see that there’s a big mess in my garden, which started underground and was already well advanced by the time it announced itself as a disaster. I certainly didn’t introduce this weed, but my job right now is to get down in the dirt and deal with what’s there — the stuff that is showing and the stuff that is still hidden underneath.
(The invasion of the garden snatcher, Boston Globe)
http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&as_q=NYT&as_epq=and+was+already+well+advanced+by+the+time&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=off&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Can the 'was already well advanced' be replaced with 'already well advanced' (intransitive)?

Thank you

• owlman5

English-US
    No, Allegro, I don't think it can. The verb coming after "which" is "started". You need to keep the "was" before the participle "advanced" in this example. If you left it out, the sentence wouldn't be grammatical nor would it make any sense.

Allegro molto

Japanese
    Hello, Owlman
    Thank you very much for your reply.

I now suppose that the 'advanced' in the sentence is an adjective.

< Previous | Next >