advanced editor or senior editor

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I was wondering which term is correct:

1) This is my application for senior editor.

2) This is my application for advanced editor.

Thoughts: I am going to apply a job but the position in English could be more than one version, which confused me. Does 1# implies the job is given to someone who is not only skillful but also old enough?

• natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    When you apply for a job, you should use the title given in the job advertisement. If the advertisement says 'editor', you should just say 'editor'.

For a job advertisement, 'senior editor' does not imply that there is a need to the applicant to be older. Usually it means someone who is more experienced. 'Advanced editor' is not a possible phrase, as far as I'm concerned.

Sun14

Chinese
    When you apply for a job, you should use the title given in the job advertisement. If the advertisement says 'editor', you should just say 'editor'.

For a job advertisement, 'senior editor' does not imply that there is a need to the applicant to be older. Usually it means someone who is more experienced. 'Advanced editor' is not a possible phrase, as far as I'm concerned.
    I see, because there is only Chinese term, I have to come up with an English version. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Sun14

Chinese
    I agree with Nat. "Advanced" sounds odd. There are levels of editors, e.g. the editor-in-chief at the top and the copy editors near the bottom. Some titles blur the lines with administration, e.g. Managing Editor.
    Get it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >