TheMBSystem

Italian
Hello Everyone!

I was studying the 4 different types of sentences in English:
  1. simple
  2. compound
  3. complex
  4. compound-complex.
After a very interesting online lesson I did the quiz at the end to test my understanding.

In the answers of the quiz, much to my surprise I discovered that the following is not a complex sentence but a simple sentence!

Generally speaking, teachers at this institution need to undertake, of their own accord of course, supplementary training courses outside of school hours in order to enhance their skills and methodologies and to meet the demands of a new generation of students.

In my understanding the above should be a complex sentence, as the clause "in order to enhance their skills and methodologies and to meet the demands of a new generation of students" looks to be a "dependent clause", particularly it looks to me and "adverb clause" showing the relation of "reason" with the main independent clause "teachers at this institution need to undertake supplementary training courses outside of school hours".

Please, can someone of you explain to me why the sentence above is not a complex sentence but a simple sentence?

Many thanks in advance.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    the clause "in order to enhance their skills and methodologies and to meet the demands of a new generation of students" looks to be a "dependent clause"
    It is not a clause, it is a phrase - there is no active verb - only infinitives.

< Previous | Next >