Advanced Institute of Industrial Technology

< Previous | Next >

Japanese and Japan
“Advanced Institute of Industrial Technology” is an official name in English of a school in Tokyo, Japan. I feel “Institute of Advanced Industrial Technology” would have been better in English word order.

Or just like a pair below, is “Advanced Institute of Industrial Technology” natural English, too?
1. a hot cup of coffee
2. a cup of hot coffee

What do you think?

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    The placement of "advanced" here really depends on what part of the compound is advanced. Like you, 8769, I think "advanced" sounds good in front of "industrial technology". Apparently the people who came up with this title wished to say that the institute itself was advanced.

ewie

English English
    IAIT makes more sense to me too, 8769. But maybe there's already another IAIT somewhere else in the world which the Tokyo school doesn't want to be confused with ... or sued by;)

Szkot

UK English
    The phrase advanced institute does not sound natural to me. A better alternative would be Institute for Advanced Studies in Industrial Technology.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    It does make a difference ~ or at least it should ~ whether it is the institute that is advanced or the technology. Presumably this would govern the placement of the adjective.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    “Advanced Institute of Industrial Technology” is an official name in English of a school in Tokyo, Japan. I feel “Institute of Advanced Industrial Technology” would have been better in English word order.

Or just like a pair below, is “Advanced Institute of Industrial Technology” natural English, too?
    1. a hot cup of coffee
    2. a cup of hot coffee

What do you think?
    I think the second is the better choice in both instances. By far.

Cagey

English - US
    I agree about the coffee. I want the coffee to be hot, not the cup.

As to the other, I seem to be the only one who sees a difference between an advanced institute and advanced industrial technology. I find that strange.

owlman5

English-US
    I agree about the coffee. I want the coffee to be hot, not the cup.

As to the other, I seem to be the only one who sees a difference between an advanced institute and advanced industrial technology. I find that strange.
    I see that difference too, Cagey. I thought it odd that they chose "advanced institute" over "advanced industrial technology".

Cagey

English - US
    I see that difference too, Cagey. I thought it odd that they chose "advanced institute" over "advanced industrial technology".
    I assume that it is possible to have an advanced institute that is concerned with technology that is not advanced.

That is why I think it strange that the discussion takes place without concern for the purpose of the school so described. Maybe they teach technology at an advanced level.

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    That must be it. I thought of some place that specialized in training people at the postgraduate level. I expect to see "advanced" modifying "technology" for some reason. Perhaps it's due to my inherent mistrust of any institution that calls itself "advanced". :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >