advanced level of english

fermin2

Spanish
Hello again everyone, I need your help to figure out which of these sentences are correct when describing the advanced level of a language.

For example, I'm pretty sure this is correct "Her level of English is advanced" (correct me if I'm wrong)
but if I want to Reword such statement, can I say:

1) Her English is advanced?

2) She's advanced in English?

3) She's at a higher level of English?

or
4) She's on a higher level of English?

Do all 5 work? Thanks

• SuK

English - USA
    All five work for me with some caveats.

Your non-numbered example (Her level of English is advanced) is fine as written.
    #1 is the most similar to "Her level of English is advanced".
    #2 has the same meaning although it could be confused with another meaning such as "She's advanced in [her] English [literature class] since AmE speakers routinely refer to a class in school as "English".
    #3 is fine but the use of the comparative "higher" here (as well as in #4) leaves the sentence sort of hanging and begs the question "who is she higher than?"
    #4 This is grammatically okay but it is the one I would be least likely to use as the use of "on" here implies to me that "English" in that case is a course or curriculum, rather than the language. (as opposed to #2 which could be interpreted both ways).

fermin2

Spanish
    Thank you very much for your detailed answer Suk!, you are kind and very helpful (must be very smart too) to explain it so well, I truly appreciate it :)

< Previous | Next >