Advanced (morally and spiritually)

< Previous | Next >

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

Does "advanced" meaning "having progressed a lot over time and gotten rid of most of their faults (in character)" sound natural/correct in the examples I made below?

a. Allan Kardec stated that the more advanced someone is, both morally and spiritually, the less they suffer.
b. John, my late grandfather, was an advanced man. I never saw anyone complaining about him; he was kind, hardworking and loved to help.
c. I think that judge is a very advanced person. I am impressed by his dedication to his career and family.

Thank you in advance!

• Retired-teacher

British English
    The word "advanced" works in (a) but not in the others. Even with (a) there is possibly a better word.

For (b) I think "accomplished" or "dedicated" are better but even they aren't quite right.

(c) needs something like "conscientious".

Edit. I'm not too happy with the definition of "advanced" that you used at the beginning.

Last edited:

The Newt

English - US
    I agree that "advanced" doesn't work in b) or c) at all. It might work in a), although I might prefer "evolved" (which, however, could be seen as slightly jocular).

Xavier da Silva

Thank you all very much.

I had already thought "advanced" wouldn't be natural in my O.P. Now you confirmed.

It seems my (a), (b) and (c) examples could have a cultural/religious overtone. That's why they didn't get exact/widely accepted synonyms.

Xavier da Silva

I think I've found a likely option for my O.P: elevated: can I use it below?

a. Allan Kardec stated that the more elevated someone is, both morally and spiritually, the less they suffer.
    b. John, my late grandfather, was an elevated man. I never saw anyone complaining about him; he was kind, hardworking and loved to help.
    c. I think that judge is a very elevated person. I am impressed by his dedication to his career and family.
    Oxford deinition: Of a high intellectual or moral level. (elevated - definition of elevated in English | Oxford Dictionaries)

Thank you in advance!

Retired-teacher

British English
    It's reasonable in (a) but again doesn't work in (b) and (c). I doubt that you will find one word suitable for all three.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >