1. San Diego Member

English USA
    How do you say advent calendar in Spanish? You know the typical calendar for kids at Christmas that counts down the days to Christmans. Calendario de Adviento??

2. alexacohen

alexacohen Banned

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Yes, it is Calendario de Adviento.

A chocolate each day.

3. Rivendell

Rivendell Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish / Spain
    Alexa's translation is right. However, I'd like to point out that Advent Calendars are not very typical in Spain. In fact, I'm certain a lot of people have never heard of such a thing, and I know them as a tradition in other countries such as Germany, Switzerland, etc...

4. tablecloth Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish
    I am not sure, but I think English Advent Calendars are more similar to our ancient Almanaques. They tell a story, a riddle things like that ,, instead of containing chocolates like ourrs. Could you please confirm it?
    Saludos

5. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galicia
    Galego (Rías Baixas)
    I don't think so. An Advent calendar is an countdown to Christmas that starts about a month before. Spanish almanaques were yearly calendars containing extra information such as the phases of the moon, the appropriate dates for sowing and harvesting, other tips and stories to fill up the pages, and even weather forecasts for the whole year :)

Saludos

MA

6. tablecloth Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish
    So, what is an Advent Calendar, please? I can't imagine a calendar with only 25 pages and nothing else, I don't think anyone would buy that ;)
    Thank you.

7. Miguel Antonio Senior Member

Galicia
    Galego (Rías Baixas)
    Who said pages? Alexa is right, it's chocolates. It consists of a cardboard structure containing little cells that have chocolate ore other treats inside. They are designed for children who are supposedly allowed to eat one sweet a day by tearing open the cardboard or plastic or whatever keeps the cell shut. It is both a way of teaching them self-restraint and a way to build up anticipation for the holiday season. I'm sure that if you google it you'll find better explanations. :)

8. tablecloth Senior Member

Madrid
    Spanish
    Thank you, so they are exactly "Calendarios de Adviento". Now it is completely clear.
    Saludos.