adventure playground

kinomi

Spanish - Spain
Hello everybody,

I wonder if somebody would be so kind to tell me how Americans call what British call an 'adventure playground'.

Thanks a lot,

Kinomi

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello Knomi.

Welcome to the forum. :)

It's hard for an American to know. What is the thing that the British call "an adventure playground"?

Trimple

Japanese
    If you are talking about the adventure playground that originated in Denmark (or was it Sweden?) around World War II, I think "adventure playground" is the general word used around the world. To my knowledge, there are not that many in the USA.
    (We have quite a lot of them in Japan.)

cubaMania

C. Th. Sørensen, a Danish landscape architect, noticed that children preferred to play everywhere but in the playgrounds that he built. In 1931, he imagined "A junk playground in which children could create and shape, dream and imagine a reality...His initial ideas started the adventure playground movement.
    The first adventure playground opened in Emdrup, Denmark in 1943, during World War II. In 1946, Lady Allen of Hurtwood visited Emdrup from England and was impressed with "junk playgrounds." She brought the idea to London. These "junk playgrounds" became known as "adventure playgrounds."
    According to this article: http://adventureplaygrounds.hampshire.edu/history.html there are currently only two "adventure playgrounds" in the U.S.

kinomi

Spanish - Spain
    Well, British call so a children's playground with wooden structures, tyres (tires), ropes, etc., where children can climb on and play so as to feel themselves some kind of 'Indiana Jones' or the like. . .

kinomi

Spanish - Spain
    I very much thank you for all the rich information about this term or concept, but really, all I want to know is how they call them in US.

Myridon

English - US
    Things like these.
    The first three pictures are of the park named "Adventure Playground" in Huntington Beach, California mentioned in the article above, but most of the pictures appear to be just "playgrounds." If you removed the swings, slides, and other equipments, they would be parks.

< Previous | Next >