Adverb totally

00B00

Cantonese
Which sentence below is correct ?

I would totally go talk to her.

I totally would go talk to her.

Does it matter if I put "totally" in front "would"? Is there a n order for that and is it grammatically wrong to do so?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Adverbs can usually go in several different places. The most common and normal place is after the first modal or auxiliary: 'would totally go', 'would totally have gone'.

Are you aware that 'totally' used like this is an extremely colloquial word, commonly used by some people, but hated by many others? It is not standard English. I never say this myself, so I'm not sure what positions sound normal for this.

rhitagawr

British English
    I'd probably want to replace usually with often. But apart from that, I agree. I've never heard totally used in this way and I don't like it.
    I'd certainly go and talk to her could sound as though you're offering someone advice. What would you do if your girlfriend said she wanted to leave you? - I'd certainly...
    I certainly would go and talk to her
    could sound stubborn or at least insistent. John says you wouldn't go and talk to her. - I certainly would...

rhitagawr

British English
    I was referring to Engtangledbank's contribution. Sorry for the confusion. I agree that totally means something like eagerly or whole-heartedly. I still don't like it. I simply wanted to show that the overtone of a sentence can be affected by the position of the adverb.

< Previous | Next >