Adverbial modifier

< Previous | Next >

westwind

Chinese
No granary was built in the Hanjia City,an inner city of Luoyang, until the early Tang Dynasty.(self-made)

I was wondering if it is normal to put the Adverbial modifier behind a comma when it appears at the end of a sentence. Thank you in advance.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The commas there are correct but unrelated to the final time phrase. You have this sentence:

No granary was built in the Hanjia City until the early Tang Dynasty.

You are then adding an explanation of 'the Hanjia City'. This supplementary phrase 'an inner city of Luoyang' goes between commas. So your punctuation is correct. Without that supplement, you wouldn't separate off the time phrase:

No granary was built in the Hanjia City, until the early Tang Dynasty. :thumbsdown:

westwind

Chinese
    The commas there are correct but unrelated to the final time phrase. You have this sentence:

No granary was built in the Hanjia City until the early Tang Dynasty.

You are then adding an explanation of 'the Hanjia City'. This supplementary phrase 'an inner city of Luoyang' goes between commas. So your punctuation is correct. Without that supplement, you wouldn't separate off the time phrase:

No granary was built in the Hanjia City, until the early Tang Dynasty. :thumbsdown:
    Thank you entangledbank. I know the punctuation is correct, but I don't know it is ok to use the time phrase to end my sentence, with a comma before it. To me, it sounds a little odd, although I have no idea why it is odd.

< Previous | Next >