adverse boy

< Previous | Next >

kameno75

Korean
When everyone is moving in one direction, one person is moving in adverse direction. Can you refer to the one person as "adverse person"? In this case there's no metaphorical implication.

• Copyright

American English
    I can't think of any normal context when "adverse person" would be understood as you want it to be. (You have "adverse boy" in the subject line.)

I agree with Copyright - "adverse person" is not idiomatic English as far as I know. The problem arises in part because we wouldn't normally say that the person was moving in the adverse direction; we would more likely say they were moving in the opposite direction. The concept described in the original post sounds like a contrary person to me.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    But a contrary person, to me, means one who is stubborn, obstinate, or who just holds opinions different from those of the people around him. It doesn't have anything to do with motion or direction of travel. I can't think of a single word in English that describes someone on the move, but in the opposite direction from everyone or almost everyone else—if we have a word for that, I think it must be very rare.

JamesM

I can't think of a single word, either. "The boy going against the flow" or "the boy swimming upstream" would tell me who to look for.

"Adverse" definitely doesn't fit for me. "Adverse" is usually a way to describe challenging, trying, difficult circumstances, not people.

MonikaUSA

English - USA
    When everyone is moving in one direction, one person is moving in adverse direction. Can you refer to the one person as "adverse person"? In this case there's no metaphorical implication.
    This wouldn't be an "adverse person." It sounds like this person is moving in reverse, or the opposite direction. S/he is not called a "reverse person" but there are many words that describe a person who doesn't follow the flow, if you're willing to provide adequate context.

< Previous | Next >