adverse 'lie' [golf]

< Previous | Next >

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
This discussion has been split off from adverse conditions of heather
Cagey, moderator.

Yes there is heather along the fairways and in the rough or out of bounds areas. He is referring to those areas that are not out of bounds where it is hard to hit the ball (the conditions or lie are adverse) if it has landed in the heather.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Yes there is heather along the fairways and in the rough or out of bounds areas. He is referring to those areas that are not out of bounds where it is hard to hit the ball (the conditions or lie are adverse) if it has landed in the heather.
    (I learned a new word from you today, JS. This non-golfer has never heard of "lie"with that meaning, so I headed straight to the WR dictionary and, by golly, there it was! :))

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    (I learned a new word from you today, JS. This non-golfer has never heard of "lie"with that meaning, so I headed straight to the WR dictionary and, by golly, there it was! :))
    (In one of the few rounds of golf I played in my youth, I did have a ball land in a bad lie in the rough and there was some heather there:))

jacdac

Lebanese
    What is a bad lie? Is this a hazard?

According to WRF, lie of the land = the topography of the land.

According to golf glossary:
    Lie (i) How the ball is resting on the ground, which may add to the difficulty of the next stroke.
    (ii) The angle between the center of the shaft and the sole of the club-head.

Thank you again.

< Previous | Next >