adversity / adversities

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello,
Is it correct to say "We have been through a lot of adversities but everything is fine now" and "We have had many adversities, but everything is fine now"? The latter sounds odd to me, but the first one sounds fine. Can we use it that way?

• Copyright

American English
    I would use "adversity" by itself:

We have been through a lot of adversity (together), but everything is fine now.
    We've faced a lot of adversity, but everything is fine now.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    Thank you, Copyright. Actually, I wanted to know whether I could say "through a lot of adversity". I suggested using the plural form because the dictionary says it is countable. We can also face problems, right?

Thank you

Copyright

American English
    Yes, we can face problems, and, yes, different people can face a variety of adversities. Perhaps when it's a shared experience, as with two people, I prefer adversity in general.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    I don't know why, but I prefer "I had a lot of problems, but now everything is fine" rather than "I faced a lot of problems, but now everything is fine". Are people going to arch their eyebrows in dismay?

Copyright

American English
    Not at all ... we can face problems, challenges and adversity. We can also have problems, which is a simpler way to put it. "Face" probably fits better with challenges and adversity. :)