Advert=advertisement only for British English?

SuperXW

advert1 /ˈadvəːt/
▶noun Brit. informal an advertisement.
-From WordReference Dictionary
Hi,
I want to confirm that "advert", when stressed on "ad", used as a noun meaning "advertisement", is for British English only, not for American English?
Thanks.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In my part of BE-land it is normally ad, not advert.
    They are ads, especially if they are in a newspaper where there are, for example, small ads, for sale ads and want ads.

Looking around at usage, it seems that advert is widely used for TV advertising, ad for other advertising.

Scholiast

Greetings!

With regard to ## 5 and 6: I agree with both, but it is worth adding that while one might still speak or write of a "newspaper advertisement", the phrase "television advertisement" sounds outdated and precious.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    I agree with owlman - advert is a rarely heard word here. .In the US it seems that ads are printed while commercials are the ones on TV. . The things between chunks of the
    TV programs are " commercial breaks". . They are often so long that in the middle of them is a little announcement telling you what program you are watching.:eek: . The small ads have almost disappeared but are often called " classifieds" because they are, well, classified into categories.

Andygc

British English
    No. Both forms are used by people. By the way, articles in the media are written by people. ;)

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Hi, am I right in thinking that people in Britain (except northern Ireland etc.) say "(TV) advert" instead of "TV ad", but media in Britain use both "TV advert" and "TV ad"?
    In fact no: I would tend to say a "TV ad", or an "ad on TV".
    Maybe it depends on the area? Posts #3 and #6 say they use "TV adverts", not "TV ads".
    My impression is that we use ad/advert indiscriminately in BE more or less according to personal preference. It may just be that "ad" has become more common in BE in the six years since this thread was first started. Who knows? :)

meijin

Japanese
    It may just be that "ad" has become more common in BE in the six years since this thread was first started. Who knows? :)
    Very interesting if that's the case! :)
    Well, how about "(TV) commercial"? Has it become common in BE?

meijin

Japanese
    Thanks Donny. So, "TV ad", "advert" and "commercial" all work in BE (while in AmE "commercial" is common, "TV ad" is much less common, and "advert" is highly unlikely). Good to know. :)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I talk about 'ads' wherever they appear, even in the term 'ad break', more formally known as 'the commercial break'. If I were writing an essay about advertising, I might use the other terms. I would have spent time researching how the industry refers to its products.

When we're discussing what words people use, context is all important. It's possible I've never ever talked about ads outside my home apart from 'small ads' in the newspapers or shop windows, and this must be the first time I have written about them.
    Why use a three-syllable word when a single syllable suffices?

< Previous | Next >