advertIsement

Cracker Jack

Hello. I am just wondering about the pronunciation of the I in advertIsement. Is it a long i or a short one. I suspect this falls under one of those AE/BE differences. But I am not very sure though. That is why I am turning to you for clarification.

What about organIs/zation?

Thanks in advance.

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In my part of the world we use two pronunciations.
    I say ad'vertisement - short i
    Others say adver'tisement - long i

We all say 'advertise - long i

There is only one version of 'organis'ation - long i

' comes before the stress

moirag

English, England
    You´re right about advERtisement(BE) and advertISEment(AE). The change in stress also influences the pronunciation of the letter "I". In the word "organisation" I´d pronounce the "I" either way, I think. Let´s see what other native speakers and Brits think.

Kelly B

USA English
    You can listen to them here, http://demo.acapela-group.com/
    Only Aaron's voice is correct for advertisement US English, in my opinion: I think it should be a long i with the accent on the i syllable. The British pronunciation stresses the VER syllable with a short i. (At least I think so....)
    OrganiZAtion: we both stress the ZA syllable, but American English uses the short i while British English uses a long I.
    The short and long i sounds, then, are reversed for the two words. How odd.

MarcB

US English
    In my US English both words can have both pronuciations. Some favor one over the other and some use both.

Cracker Jack

Thanks a lot for your replies. I was right about the pronunciation of advertisement for both AE and BE. I didn't know though that it would be acceptable for organisation/organization to be pronounced oth ways.

Kelly, the site was cool.

LuBo

French - France
    My contribution to this topic: www .manythings.org/voa/wm/wm205.html

Apparently, the difference is not only between BE and AE. It seems that even AE speakers don't all use the same pattern!

< Previous | Next >