Advertiser

Delphina86

Italy, Italian
Hi guys,
I am trying to find the word that best defines the person who creates a commercial, especially a TV commercial. I could not come up with other words except "advertiser". Do you have any suggestion at all?

Thanks a lot!

• Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    It depends on what you mean by "create", Delphina. Do you mean the person who pays for it? Who writes it? Who directs the production? Something else?

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Usually an advertising agency will come up with several ideas for an ad or series of ads, then the company will choose one. A director is usually hired to film the ad in the way that the ad agency has outlined.

Delphina86

Italy, Italian
    The fact is that I need to ask some questions to the person who actually created an ad but via third-party. So I am writing a letter to a company that could eventually lead me to him, but I am not sure about how to classify his job...

natasha_139

Chinese
    when I look up "advertiser" on freedictionary.com, it says "advertiser" means someone whose business is advertising which I thought is advertising agency.
    Could anyone tell me the term for the one who pays for advertising? Thank you!

Copyright

American English
    What you want is the creative director. He or she will either be part of a team of two, or will supervise a team of two, that consists of a copywriter and an art director who create words and pictures that work together (on a good day). Bigger projects may have more than one each of these people, but two is the usual number.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    when I look up "advertiser" on freedictionary.com, it says "advertiser" means someone whose business is advertising which I thought is advertising agency.
    Could anyone tell me the term for the one who pays for advertising? Thank you!

You are right, if I'm understanding you correctly. If a man runs a business fixing people's plumbing, he is a plumber. If he then takes out advertisements in the newspaper to promote his business, that makes him an advertiser. He is advertising in the newspaper. Any person or business that pays for advertisements in this way is an advertiser. At the newspaper, the business manager might say "We need to find more advertisers!," which would mean "We need to attract more business to pay us to run their advertisements."

Is that what you're asking?

Copyright

American English
    In my experience, an advertiser is the client -- the person or company wanting to sell something and often paying an advertising agency to help in that process. I've never heard it used to refer to the advertising agency.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    They are only a "client" from the perspective of the newspaper, television station, billboard owner, or other media business whom they are paying to run their advertisements. From the standpoint of, say, the public, businesses that advertise are advertisers, not "clients."

natasha_139

Chinese
    You are right, if I'm understanding you correctly. If a man runs a business fixing people's plumbing, he is a plumber. If he then takes out advertisements in the newspaper to promote his business, that makes him an advertiser. He is advertising in the newspaper. Any person or business that pays for advertisements in this way is an advertiser. At the newspaper, the business manager might say "We need to find more advertisers!," which would mean "We need to attract more business to pay us to run their advertisements."

Is that what you're asking?
    Thank you for your explaination,Glenfarclas. This is exactly what I mean. I suppose the one who pays for promoting products as ads is an advertiser. But according to Freedictionary which I quoted, it says someone whose business is advertising. It seems to me it is the advertising agency which is in charge of advertising business for their clients(advertisers). Is my understanding correct?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Thank you for your explaination,Glenfarclas. This is exactly what I mean. I suppose the one who pays for promoting products as ads is an advertiser. But according to Freedictionary which I quoted, it says someone whose business is advertising. It seems to me it is the advertising agency which is in charge of advertising business for their clients(advertisers). Is my understanding correct?
    Yes, I think you are. However, the entry you were looking at -- "someone whose business is advertising" -- is from the thesaurus, not the dictionary. A thesaurus is not a precise guide to meaning, since it is merely intended to help people find words that deal with related and similar concepts, not necessarily identical ones.

< Previous | Next >