advertising or advertisement

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
1. When people are purposely made to believe something about a product through lies in advertising/advertisements, it is considered false advertisement/adveritsing. False advertisement/advertising can be found found almost everywhere.

Does the sentence sound right?
Besides, how do I know for sure when to use advertising and advertisement respectively? Thanks.

• WongFeiHung

USA English
    1. When people are purposely made to believe something about a product through lies in advertising/advertisements (Either would work, but I like 'advertising'), it is considered false advertisement/adveritsing. False advertisement/advertising can be found found almost everywhere.

Does the sentence sound right?
    Besides, how do I know for sure when to use advertising and advertisement respectively? Thanks.
    Good question! It was a little difficult for me to choose between these - I think they can be interchangeable, but I chose what I liked best!

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, FH.
    Your choices correspond to (should I use match with here?) those with my original sentence. But would you rake your brain a bit and turn your instinct into a few physical words?

Joelline

American English
    I'm afraid that WFH has it exactly backwards. It really does pay to look up words that you're unfamiliar with.

One dictionary defines advertising as
    1. The activity of attracting public attention to a product or business, as by paid announcements in the print, broadcast, or electronic media.
    2. The business of designing and writing advertisements.
    3. Advertisements considered as a group: This paper takes no advertising.
    Therefore, the sentence should read, "When people are purposely made to believe something about a product through lies in advertisements, it is considered false advertising. False advertising can be found found almost everywhere."

WongFeiHung

USA English
    Hehe I'll try!
    ('Correspond to' works in what you said, btw)
    The first one: "advertising" as in the general practice of showing off a product. "Advertisements" would be the result of advertising, the commercial or the little section in the magazine for example. Here you want "through the lies in advertising", or the act of promoting the thing itself
    Generally, I think you would usually want to use "false advertising" because that is a set phrase. When you say "false advertisments", you should be referring to a certain group of advertisments. Again, the 'advertising' means 'in general'
    Hope this helped a bit

WongFeiHung

USA English
    quietdandelion: I believe I contradicted myself with my last post and my previous post. Please excuse. I guess they both sound good to me....
    Where did you get your original sentence from?

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    quietdandelion: I believe I contradicted myself with my last post and my previous post. Please excuse. I guess they both sound good to me....
    Where did you get your original sentence from?
    Thanks, FH.
    After all the explanations and discussion, I think they are crytal clear now.
    And you're right all the way and all the time.

My base sentence in an excerpt used a pop quiz for my students from an English magazine.

WongFeiHung

USA English
    Thanks, quietdandelion for being patient with me!
    I really try not to steer you wrong, but I'm glad that you were able to gain a better understanding from the opposing views of Joelline and mine!
    Until later, my friend

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, quietdandelion for being patient with me! It's me who should say this to you because you've been so patient in answering my questions and helping me!
    I really try not to steer you wrong, but I'm glad that you were able to gain a better understanding from the opposing views of Joelline and mine! You and other friends are always trying to steer me in the right direction, and I'm greatly indebted.
    Until later, my friend
    Thanks, FH.
    Would you shed some light on the part in bold? Though it looks easy, yet I've never seen it before.

WongFeiHung

USA English
    It's just something I carry from Spanish - a common way of saying goodbye is 'hasta luego', which translates to "until later"
    It's the same as if I were to say, "until I meet you again", or "see you later"

powerlt

Chinese
    What's the difference between advertisement and advertising?
    Can the two following sentences use either of them?

(1)Both candidates are spending millions on television advertising/advertisement.
    (2) a advertising/advertisement campain

Thanks a lot.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    What's the difference between advertisement and advertising?
    Can the two following sentences use either of them?

(1)Both candidates are spending millions on television advertising/advertisement.
    (2) an advertising/advertisement campaign

Thanks a lot.
    No, they are not interchangeable. In your first sentence, it would be "advertising". You could use "advertisements" but it must be plural.

In your second sentence, it must be "advertising" because "advertising" is an adjective which describes "campaign". "advertisement" is a noun so it would be incorrect.

cat2jackson

Russian
    Hi Everyone!

I've seen people on the Internet using both 'Advertisement Campaign' and
    'Advertising Campaign'. Which variant is correct in writing and which is colloquial (if any), and which one would an AE speaker prefer (versus a BE speaker)?

Also, there are occurences of both 'Professional Advertisement' and 'Professional Advertising'. Does the former mean a single poster, whereas the latter one talks about a campaign as a whole?

Thanks!

Best Wishes,
    Dmitry.

sandpiperlily

To me (an AE speaker), "advertising" is general, while "advertisement" is specific. You would have an advertising campaign, which might consist of a number of different advertisements. You would take a class in advertising, not advertisement. A company would have an advertising department. A "professional advertisement" would be a single ad, created professionally. "Professional advertising" might refer to a whole campaign, or the general idea of publicity, generated professionally.

legendaaary

French
    Hi everyone,

What is the difference between these 3 words?
    I'm giving it a try...
    publicity is linked to the image of the company. But we cannot use that word to talk about commercials that we see on tv, can we?
    advertising => the means
    but what is the difference between advertising and advertisement?

Looking forward to your answers...

sdgraham

USA English
    "Publicity" can be either positive or negative, i.e. BP oil spill in the Gulf. It cannot be purchased, but sometimes, organizations seek free publicity through "press releases." Organizations also gain publicity through sponsorships of charitable organizations, but that's not purchased directly.

Advertising, non-countable, is generally purchased.

An advertisement, countable, is an instance of advertising.

Matching Mole

England, English
    Advertisement as a noun meaning the practice or process of advertising seems to mean the same as advertising to me; I can't see any meaningful difference. In my experience advertisement is almost always used as an instance of this as a countable item; a "commercial", as often abbreviated to advert. Quite a number of dictionaries only give this definition (including our own). Publicity is not limited to the placing of adverts; it can be promotion of any sort, such as the staging of an event, and often receiving publicity means to be in the news. You cannot have "a publicity" or "publicities", however.

Robocon

Vietnamese
    I have two sentences

1. The issue of advertising remains controversial.
    2. The issue of advertisement remains controversial.

One using with advertising and the other using with advertisement.
    Which one is correct? When we use advertising and when we use advertisement? My English group has argued a lot but no one can give the best answer for it.

Thank you very much.

Copyright

American English
    Advertising is the industry and a general term for what it produces.
    Advertisement is what is produced, usually a print ad or poster or flyer or online banner or television commercial (although that last one is often referred to as a commercial, as I just did, rather than an advertisement).

He works in advertising.
    His latest work is a series of advertisements for men's cologne.

In your example, you want the industry and what is produces: advertising ... #1.

Robocon

Vietnamese
    Thank you very much.

If I understood ^_^. We use Advertising for producer who make it and Advertisement for products of the producer. Is it correct? ^_^

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    No, not exactly. (Or perhaps I'm simply misunderstanding you.)

Advertising is a general term for the industry and for the material it produces.

Advertisement is used to refer to a particular piece of advertising - a single ad, flyer, bill board or commercial.

kiko1022

Spanish
    I have a question. Which one is correct?
    1. Advertizing Agreement
    2. Advertizement Agreement

It is an ad contract.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    First, the word is spelled advertising, even in American English where we often use z where British English would haves.

To answer your question: Either can be correct, depending on what you mean. Advertising is the general activity. An advertisement is a specific instance of that activity.

monster123

Hi everyone.
    Could you please help me choose the correct word.
    Suppose there is a webpage that is entirely dedicated to advertise the goods.

e.g.
    The purpose of this page is an advertisement of the goods.
    The purpose of this page is advertising the goods.

Which one is correct?
    And what way is more natural to say it?
    Thanks in advance.

Happy Pancake

Malaysia-Mandarin
    Hi,

I don't how to differentiate between Advertising(NOUN, not the ADJ) and Advertisement even though I have checked my dictionary and websites. They seems same for me.

According to some websites, these two words are interchangeable. For example, cigarette advertising and cigarette advertisement.Are they really interchangeable?

According to my dictionary and this forum, Advertising means the activity of creating advertisements and making sure people see them.

Nevertheless, what is the meaning of activity of creating advertisements ? Is it means planning (venue, cost, methods and others) for creating advertisement? Any examples?

Happy Pancake

Malaysia-Mandarin
    Hi,

I don't how to differentiate between Advertising(NOUN, not the ADJ) and Advertisement even though I have checked my dictionary and websites. They(the explanation) seems same for me.

According to some websites, these two words are interchangeable. For example, cigarette advertising and cigarette advertisement.Are they really interchangeable?

According to my dictionary and this forum, Advertising means the activity of creating advertisements and making sure people see them.

Nevertheless, what is the meaning of activity of creating advertisements ? Is it means planning (venue, cost, methods and others) for creating advertisement? Any examples?

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Advertising is a phenomenon or a career. (He works in advertising. Advertising has increased enormously.)
    Advertisement is a film or a poster, etc. (I saw an advertisement for cigarettes. There are many advertisements by the roadside.)

SReynolds

Hungarian
    Advertising refers to the process of persuading someone to buy someone's products. This process is accomplished by advertisements, which are instances of advertising.

For example, Coca Cola spends a lot of money on advertising its products. This is accomplished by radio and TV commercials/advertisements; raising brand awareness through other methods like sponsoring sports events; direct marketing; native advertising (posting news articles that are really advertisements. Native advertising is the practice, advertisements are individual articles that appear on news websites), etc.

[cross-posted]

Happy Pancake

Malaysia-Mandarin
    Advertising refers to the process of persuading someone to buy someone's products. This process is accomplished by advertisements, which are instances of advertising.

For example, Coca Cola spends a lot of money on advertising its products. This is accomplished by radio and TV commercials/advertisements; raising brand awareness through other methods like sponsoring sports events; direct marketing; native advertising (posting news articles that are really advertisements. Native advertising is the practice, advertisements are individual articles that appear on news websites), etc.

[cross-posted]
    Hi SReynolds,

If I write or say 'Cigarette Advertising' , is it mean that the advertising activities (As mentioned above) is conducted by a company?In other words, to perform a series of advertising activities (As mentioned above) to promote the cigarette?

SReynolds

Hungarian
    Yes, although it's usually called tobacco advertising.

In 1971, the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act banned the advertising of tobacco products (in other words, tobacco advertising, the practice) on radio and TV, which meant that no more tobacco advertisements (commercials) could be aired in the United States, effectively banning tobacco advertisements (the commercials) as well.

Happy Pancake

Malaysia-Mandarin
    Advertising is a phenomenon or a career. (He works in advertising. Advertising has increased enormously.)
    Advertisement is a film or a poster, etc. (I saw an advertisement for cigarettes. There are many advertisements by the roadside.)
    Hi Keith,

About “Advertising is a phenomenon” and "Advertising has increased enormously.", do you mean the activities for advertising (to promote products)
    Yes, although it's usually called tobacco advertising.

In 1971, the Public Health Cigarette Smoking Act banned the advertising of tobacco products (in other words, tobacco advertising, the practice) on radio and TV, which meant that no more tobacco advertisements (commercials) could be aired in the United States, effectively banning tobacco advertisements (the commercials) as well.
    Much obliged! Finally I know to differentiate between these two words. ;)

< Previous | Next >