advertisment of or about

< Previous | Next >

deslenguada

Castellano
Wich preposition follows "advertisment", "of" or "about" or both. I think both can work, but not sure tho. Which one is better?
Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    Context is always helpful, Des, but the word you're looking for is "about":

"The advertisement on the billboard is about women's clothing."

"We are going to publish an advertisement about our business in the newspaper".

I can't think of a situation where you'd use "advertisement of". Can you provide a sample sentence for context?

deslenguada

Castellano
    The context is: "I have seen your advertisment about computers in the newspaper"

Ouch! I thought "about2 was the best option, it came to my mind when translating.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    The context is: "I have seen your advertisment about computers in the newspaper"

Ouch! I thought "about2 was the best option, it came to my mind when translating.
    But La Reine is also correct in that "I have seen your advertisement for computers in the newspaper" could also be used although, for some reason, because we're talking plural here (computers), I would use "about". If it was one computer, I'd say:

"I have seen your advertisement for a computer in the newspaper". Mind you, on a different note, I would not use "I have seen"... I would say "I saw...".

deslenguada

Castellano
    But La Reine is also correct in that "I have seen your advertisement for computers in the newspaper" could also be used although, for some reason, because we're talking plural here (computers), I would use "about". If it was one computer, I'd say:

"I have seen your advertisement for a computer in the newspaper". Mind you, on a different note, I would not use "I have seen"... I would say "I saw...".

yes I know.... but I don't know what to do with this teacher....:(
    thanks for letting me know the difference, I see it!

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I agree with "advertisement for", but in general people speak of "an XYZ advertisement" giving the name of the company - as in "a Ford advert" or "an Apple ad".

deslenguada

Castellano
    I agree with "advertisement for", but in general people speak of "an XYZ advertisement" giving the name of the company - as in "a Ford advert" or "an Apple ad".
    thanks La Reine again, yes Maxiogee you are right but no trademark or brand name is given, but thanks ;) all the info is welcome :)

Pannadol

Australian English
    "Advertisement of" would ONLY be used if talking about a company... for example:

"The advertisement of the Government's was very controversial" - but this would more correctly be "The government's advertisement was very controversial."

Still this use is very rare and the possessive is more often heard.

deslenguada

Castellano
    "Advertisement of" would ONLY be used if talking about a company... for example:

"The advertisement of the Government's was very controversial" - but this would more correctly be "The government's advertisement was very controversial."

Still this use is very rare and the possessive is more often heard.

Thanks!, wow how much info! Now I should know how to use the word "advertisment" properly ;) hehe

< Previous | Next >