advocacy / policy

rayon

French - English
Hello
This document that I need to translate has a sub-heading that simmply states
advocacy/policy committee
the document is the minutes of an annual general meeting.
Thanks for any insight!

• ChiMike

USA, English
    Hi and Welcome! (again, if it's been said already.)

You haven't furnished quite enough information as to the nature of the organization for one to be absolutely sure, but the general idea appears to be:

Comité des politiques à formuler et à préconiser (soutenir vivement)

In this sense, "advocacy" does not usually mean a formal court or even administrative or legislative proceeding, it means active argumentation for a position or policy --- sometimes, by television or other advertising.

rayon

French - English
    Thank you for your help..very much appreciated.
    This is an academic network that promotes research on work and health. The board has asked me to translate their minutes and in the meeting they have decided to create this new advocacy/policy committee.
    I think that your suggestion would work admirably...but if you have another suggestion then I'm all ears:)
    Once again, thank you

ChiMike

USA, English
    You're welcome!

I think this suggestion is the best one I have. I just wanted to make sure that we were not talking about a group (like some civil rights groups) which intended to begin actions in court. It's fortunate that we are not, because I haven't decided exactly how "advocacy" should be translated in that context. :eek:

Good luck with the minutes!

< Previous | Next >