advocacy

• morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Context pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.....

1. This is not a Russian word. An English word is understood (generally) the way it is understood by English (Americans).
    2. I am not sure then I understand the question at all. Does it imply that Russians understand English words differently from the English (through cultural differences/poor language knowledge.....etc?)

Please elaborate a bit.

er targyn

advocacy ['ædvəkəsɪ]
    1) пропаганда, активная публичная защита, поддержка; отстаивание (взглядов, позиций) advocacy group — общественное движение, общественная организация, выступающие в защиту чего-л. non-profit consumer advocacy group — общественная организация по защите прав потребителей Syn: support
    2) лобби, лоббистская группа Syn: lobby
    3) адвокатура, деятельность адвоката It is a strange trade, I have often thought, that of advocacy. — Я всегда считал, что адвокатская деятельность - странное ремесло.

olgarb

russian
    All of them can fit under different context except for адвокат или адвокатура. I never heard this term used for адвокат. That would be an "attorney." (хочется всегда покороче и посодержательнее :) CONTEXT BELOW:

Our Mission is to incorporate the value of recovery, self-help, and empowerment

by educating and advocating for recipients ......

CONTEXT
    Our Mission is to incorporate the value of recovery, self-help, and empowerment

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Let's structure that a little.

1. There is a word "advocacy" in English.
    2. You need to translate this word into Russian.
    3. One cannot ask a Russian "how do you understand the English word "advocacy"" - this is what we have translation dictionaries for, like "the Mueller". Otherwise you are asking any Russian person, who tries to answer this, to substitute for such a dictionary, which is too much for any one person to do.

Now, as for #1, "advocacy" stands for "pleading or strongly presenting someones (or a group's) case". Such as "consumer advocacy", "human rights advocacy", "animal rights advocacy", "unborn fetuses legal rights advocacy" and whatnot.

Also "advocating a better, a healthier way of life".

#2. In the above context, when talking of "animal rights" and such - "защитники". Защитники прав животных и т.д.

In other sense - агитация. "Агитация за лучший, более здоровый образ жизни".

так же - "призыв" (прямой перевод лат. "advocare, ad vocare" - призывать)

Я думаю, есть и другие переводы - нужно по ситуации смотреть.

В Вашем случае вы оборвали свой контекст на самом интересном месте.

"by educating and advocating for recipients ......"

Recipients of what? Or for recipients to do what?

morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    recipients is not a key word here. let's say recipients of a certain services
    if you say "advocating for recipients" and then ask "how do I translate "advocate"" - I say the "recipients" and what they do is important. To me, at least. "Receiving" may be of "beating" or of the "Congressional medal of Honor".

< Previous | Next >