advocate/promote

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sun14, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Sun14

Sun14 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    Hello, my friends,

I was wondering which sentence is more idiomatic:

1) He is the man who advocates the positive lifestyle.

2) He is the man who promotes the positive lifestyle.

Thoughts: He is the man who is in favor of the positive lifestyle and encourages others to lead a positive life.

2. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    I would use advocates but I would not use the definite article, hence:

He is a man who advocates a positive lifestyle.

3. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    "1) He is the man who advocates the positive lifestyle." sounds a little strange to me: "the Positive Lifestyle." sounds like a commercial name and would require capital letters. If it is not a commercial name, then "the" is strange, and would be better as "a". He is the man who advocates a positive lifestyle." (Crosspost with londoncalling.)

Advocate - to speak in support of. Not necessarily commercially or for gain, often in a balanced manner. To advocate is a slightly higher register than promote.

Promotes - to speak in support of. Often commercially or for gain, often in a unbalanced manner.

"He is the man who advocates a positive lifestyle." -> this could be said by a doctor who is simply worried that many people are depressed.
    "He is the man who promotes a positive lifestyle." -> this could be said by a person who has just written a book on fighting depression and wants to sell a lot of copies.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. Sun14

Sun14 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    Thank you very much.

5. Sun14

Sun14 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    Thank you very much. The context is a bit different from your two interpretations:

I went to Jason Mraz's concert. He is a man who writes positive songs and always shows his positive lifestyle to influence people. In the concert, he also talked about a lot on the positive lifestyle. He said he is not a positive person but he would write the positive song and he believes such songs can shine on your life.

I was wondering whether advocate is suitable in the context and is there any synonyms I can use?

6. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

UK
    English - England
    It seems Jason Mraz is a man who advocates a positive lifestyle/outlook on life.

7. reka39 Banned

Italian
    Hi!
    I have a question with reference to "advocate for".
    I found this verb in the following sentence on membership-based intermediaries - "At the other side of the continuum are organizations that play an active, direct role in advocating for their members. This may take to form of collective bargaining in a multi-employer relationship, as in the case of unions in the construction industry".
    Thank you.

8. Shushi Member

Sorry, what is the question?

9. reka39 Banned

Italian
    You are right! I am sorry!
    My question is - what is meaning of "advocate for" in the sentence I wrote in #10? Is "to support"? or "to act in favour of sb"? Thank oyu.

10. Shushi Member

In this case, and taking into consideration the word "actively" I would suggest it means to support by argument (actively), to argue in favour of somebody.

11. Sun14

Sun14 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    I was wondering whether "advocate" is generally used as a noun when collocating with "for"?

12. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    In Sushi's example:
    play an active, direct role in advocating for their members
    'advocating' is a gerund; it is based on the verb form 'advocate'.

13. Sun14

Sun14 Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Chinese
    Thank you very much.