advocate

guzhi

Thailand
Hi,

Please correct or suggest a better way to say it:

-This is the kind of scholarship this university advocate/support in all academic works.

Thanks!

• Shauneyzboyz

English
    Well, in that sentence, you would say "advocates," not "advocate." But without further context, I don't think I can make sense of that phrase enough to find a better way to structure it.

guzhi

Thailand
    OK. Here's more...
    Teachers should encourage a habit of mind which is curious, audacius; and value openess and honesty before any private interests. This is the kind of scholarship that this university advocates.

Song Sprite

English, Canada
    Oh I see, you mean scholarliness, right? A scholarship is money given to someone to assist them in paying for their education.

guzhi

Thailand
    Can I say 'this is the kind of academic standard/spirit that the university forsters'?

Orange Blossom

U.S.A. English
    Scholarship is fine the way it stands in the original sentence.

Dr. So and So is known for his fine scholarship. <-- No article. Means that he/she is a very fine scholar and does careful work.

Dr. So and So funded a scholarship. <-- Scholarship with the article refers to the money given students to help them pay for their studies.

By the way, it would be "advocates for all academic work (not works)." Work is a non-count noun in this context.

Orange Blossom

< Previous | Next >