AE/BE 'loan'' Loan of books ends 15 minutes before closing time.

Cracker Jack

I just came across an announcement in a public library saying ''Loan of books ends 15 minutes before closing time.'' I think it sounds awkward. I always thought of a ''loan'' as involving money or credit or anything of monetary value.

As for books, is it okay to use the verb loan? I would say lending of books or borrowing of books ends 15 minutes before closing time. Is there a nuance to it? Or is it again the AE BE difference?

Thanks in advance.

• JamesM

"Lending of books" sounds more natural to me in this context. I agree that "loan of books ends..." sounds awkward. I don't think it's an AE/BE difference. To me, it's just an example of a poorly written announcement. :)

If anything, I'd rather hear "books may be checked out up until 15 minutes before closing time" or "the check-out desk is closed 15 minutes prior to closing time." Hmm... neither of these sound very elegant, either. I guess it's a good thing that I don't write announcements as part of my living. :)

panjandrum

Occasional Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Ah, you mean that the issue desk closes 15 minutes before the library closes.
    At first I thought you meant that all borrowed books had to be returned 15 minutes before the library closes :)

< Previous | Next >