AE : Bitch ass nigga

Skum

Frances
Ok so this is possibly a controversial topic. I have heard this expression many times in American movies and as I do understand the meaning of the words individually, I do not fully comprehend what a ''bitch ass nigga'' is. Also is it a common expression in AE? Or only used in the ghetto?

Thanks in advance,

• Skum

Frances
    It's a movie called ''Next Friday''.

Ice cube gets mad at a black person and tells him ''get your ass out of here''. And the black person answers '' I am just a bitch ass nigga don't hit me''.

<-----Video clip removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->

Last edited by a moderator:

e2efour

UK English
    See The Urban Dictionary (bitch-ass):

No known origin, this word derives from the street slang equivalent for ... 'Coward', 'Scared'and 'Punk'.
    Meaning to be afraid, unable to 'step-up'.
    Also used in conjunction with the terms 'nigger' or 'nigga'.​

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Nigga/nigger" is a very old term for a black person. In the US, before rougly 1950, it was a neutral term, no different than "black person" or "afro-american" or "black" today. That changed.

Nowadays, it is extremely offensive for a non-black to call a black this. But it is still neutral and non-offensive for a black to call themselves or another black. It can even convey affection, as a form of address between friends.

For that reason "nigga/nigger" is a common word in song lyrics, for rap songs and other songs sung by blacks.

I did not know that "bitch-ass" had a specific meaning. It is probably a "ghetto" word, as you suggest (in ghettos of any race: white, hispanic, black, asian, and mixed-race).

In general English, it is common (but vulgar) to use "<word>-ass" as an insulting term for a person. One mild example is "dumbass". In general "ass" is a slang (vulgar) term for a person's body (the physical person). People say things like:

"Get your ass over here right now."
    "Our training will whip your sorry asses into shape."
    "Don't fight him -- he'll whup your ass."

< Previous | Next >