AE: constituency? electoral district?


Senior Member
English English
I'm led to believe by the COED that constituency (with the sense 'area represented by someone elected') is 'chiefly British'. What term would Americanfolks use for this? electoral district? something else?

Every ____ I've ever lived in has been a Democrat stronghold.
People in this ____ have voted Republican since the days of Ulysses S. Grant.
  • berndf

    German (Germany)
    When you use constituency without further qualification I take it you mean for election to the national parliament. That would be a congressional district.


    Senior Member
    Yes, it would be district for the U.S. House. U.S. (Senators, of course, represent entire states.) We do sometimes use constituents to refer to the people in a given district though, e.g., "I need to represent my constituents," or you could just say "the people/voters in my district."
    < Previous | Next >