AE for "build-up"

< Previous | Next >

MB

Polish
I've always deemed the "build-up" noun meaning the period of preparation before something happens more of a UK term and haven't been sure what's the American equivalent of that. First off, is the noun in that meaning indeed chiefly British. If so, what's the AmE subsitute?

Edit: An example of the build-up used in the meaning being discussed here can be, "We've put in a lot of work throughout the build-up to that fight so I'd felt radically preparred."

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    "We've put in a lot of work throughout the build-up to that fight so I'd felt radically preparred."
    As an AE speaker, I would probably use "lead-up."

"We put in a lot of work in the lead-up to that fight, so I felt really prepared."

MB

Polish
    Thanks for throwing some more light on it. Let's wait and see what other AE speakers have to say about that, too.

MB

Polish
    Very well, I see there's indeed quite a number of threads regarding that already. Thank you.

Truffula

English - USA
    While "run-up" seems more common to me, as a speaker of AE, "build-up" doesn't seem particularly British, but it does have far more citations in British sources, so I think you are mostly right about its Britishness. However, the Google dictionary defined "buildup" with this meaning and gave "buildup to Christmas" as the example, so I searched for that, and found a few uses in US sources:

"Waiting for the NCAA schedule to come out every year is like the buildup to Christmas morning. You’d be excited, too, if you knew the payoff was 11 games in two weeks." From an Arizona website: ASU basketball: Gilling Tour hits Tucson on Sunday

" 'I’m such a holiday fanatic and I love all of the buildup to Christmas,' Nevins, who was born and raised in Queens, said." From Scott Nevins To Host 'Sparkle: An All-Star Holiday Concert' In New York

< Previous | Next >