Aesthetics of Sublime

< Previous | Next >

keatsurn

Italian
Hi everyone,

I am writing a literary essay about a sonnet, and I have to explain its affinity to visual arts.

I have written a sentence that explains this but I am not sure if it's correct or not:

"the sonnet partakes the aesthetics of sublime and picturesque of XY", where XY stands for a painting.

What do you think? If it is not correct, can you please help me? It does not have to be in informal/colloquial English.

Thanks a bunch ;)

• ewie

English English
    Hi Keatsurn.
    Well, here are a couple of pointers:
    partake needs to be followed by of;
    you've got two 'dangling' adjectives, i.e. two adjectives with no noun following them:
    partakes of the aesthetics of sublime and picturesque [what?] of XY.

So your sentence does need a bit of work, I'm afraid:(

keatsurn

Italian
    Hi Keatsurn.
    Well, here are a couple of pointers:
    partake needs to be followed by of;
    you've got two 'dangling' adjectives, i.e. two adjectives with no noun following them:
    partakes of the aesthetics of sublime and picturesque [what?] of XY.

So your sentence does need a bit of work, I'm afraid:(

I reckon the problem here is L1 interference :) but I was trying to use "sublime" as an adj working as a noun...

What if I changed it like this?

"the sonnet (the images evoked by the sonnet) partakes of the aesthetics of sublime and picturesque typical of 19th century paintings like XY"

Would it be okay?

Last edited:

shawnee

English - Australian
    Be aware that you have crammed a considerable amount of conceptual terminology into one sentence. Given that the terms 'sublime' and 'picturesque' are both technical terms in artistic discourse and more popularly used as adjectives with vague notions of 'something to be admired', some caution is advised. Try: "The sonnet partakes/alludes to aspects of both the sublime and the picturesque found in XY."

keatsurn

Italian
    Thank you so much for helping me out.

I've been "googling" the sentence and I did find a few instances of "sublime" being used after "aesthetics" as a noun, for example with reference to Burke and Kant, check for example the end of page 412 (the document is only a few pages long but it starts from p 405) here and you will find it twice.

se16teddy sauggested adding a definite article, would it be better to say "the aesthetics of the sublime and picturesque of XY"? I've found many instances of this piece of sentence on google

I like shawnee's alternative as well! ;)

ewie

English English
    I hope this won't sound too much like harsh criticism, Keats, but I'm finding (like Shawnee) the whole thing a bit difficult to digest.
    (1) Partake of is not the commonest verb in English: it's basically just a rather fancy (some might say overly fancy) way of saying have; so I'd recommend something a bit simpler.
    (2) Even when you add in the the, you've still got the aesthetics of the sublime ... which is just kind of ... heavy in English.

Oh dear, I'm just criticizing without offering anything useful in return ~ sorry:eek:
    Here's my attempt at 'lightening':
    The sonnet brings to mind the sublime and picturesque qualities typical of 19th century paintings such as ...

This is something I say often in this forum: English Likes Verbs ... and it also dislikes strings of nouns, especially abstract nouns, especially when they're connected with ofs.
    Notice how my version goes:
    ART - N - V - PREP - N - ART - ADJ - and - ADJ - N - ADJ - of - ADJ - N ...
    whereas yours [post #4] goes:
    ART - N - V - of - ART - N - of - ADJ - and - ADJ - ADJ - of - ADJ - N ...

In short, there's not enough variety in your sentence to make it easily digestible for an English speaker.

Apologies for the long post ~ I don't usually write so much.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >