afección prósica en la vejiga

pordiosero

Árabe-Dariya
Hola.

En un aforismo supuestamente atribuido a Hipócrates aparece la palabra prósica. ¿Qué creen que puede significar?

188. La orina espesa y furfurácea indica que puede existir alguna afección prósica en la vejiga.

Del libro "Hipócrates: Aforismos y Sentencias".

Last edited:
  • grindios

USA
    English - United States Midwestern
    Hola.

En un aforismo supuestamente atribuido a Hipócrates aparece la palabra prósica. ¿Qué creen que puede significar?

188. La orina espesa y furfurácea indica que puede existir alguna afección prósica en la vejiga.

Del libro "Hipócrates: Aforismos y Sentencias".
    I am just guessing here, but in the US a type of medicine called Prosic is used to relieve inflammation (NSAID), so maybe it's just inflammation of the bladder. But I have also read that moldy/fungal (furfurácea) urine may be a sign of diabetes or simply a UTI. I cannot find prósica or anything similar in English.

ChemaSaltasebes

Castellano (España)
    moldy/fungal (furfurácea)
    Why moldy/fungal?
    Furfuráceo/furfuraceous:
    consisting of or covered with flaky particles
    Medical Definition of FURFURACEOUS
    adj. Se dice de la descamación en finas laminillas.
    Furfurácea. Diccionario médico. Clínica Universidad de Navarra..

Which means furfuráceo is either a bad translation or it conveys the idea of urine with "flaky particles" within it.
    maybe it's just inflammation of the bladder
    It most probably is, maybe conveying cancer, but all this is just but guessing. I haven't found any reference that could take us closer to any original that could give us a hint here.

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    In an English translation of the Aphorisms by Hippocrates*, I found the following:
    "In those cases where there are furfuraceous particles discharged along with thick urine, there is scabies of the bladder."

Does this make any sense medically? No, none at all. Please remember that this was written very long ago in another language and the concepts are no longer even vaguely similar to those we now use.

*The Internet Classics Archive | Aphorisms by Hippocrates