Affect and effect

Confuzzled

England
New here, and so dont know if this has been asked before.

Confused on the use of affect and effect.

here, for example, is the use of 'affects' correct or not. Or should it be 'effects'.

"Seriously, the culture of ignorance in our society is so deep-rooted and prevalent that its bound to have its affects on us..."

Thanks for the help

• river

U.S. English
    Effect is a noun. To affect someting is to have an effect on it. So, effect is your answer.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Welcome to WordReference:)

If something affects you, it will have an effect on you.
    In that context affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

In your example, affects is incorrect - it should be effects.

A further complication is that effect is also a verb, meaning to bring about some event or result - for example, to effect a cure for warts you need three toads, one recent cat and a full moon.

You'll be glad to hear that affect (noun) is obsolete except in the world of Psychology.

modus.irrealis

English, Canada
    I was always happy with the rule that if it's a noun it's effect and if it's a verb it's affect.

Like panjandrum says, affect as a noun is rare, and I'd say using effect as a verb is a somewhat affected usage :), so I've learned to avoid it anyway.

Confuzzled

England
    panjandrum said:
    Welcome to WordReference:)

If something affects you, it will have an effect on you.
    In that context affect is a verb, effect is a noun.

In your example, affects is incorrect - it should be effects.

A further complication is that effect is also a verb, meaning to bring about some event or result - for example, to effect a cure for warts you need three toads, one recent cat and a full moon.

You'll be glad to hear that affect (noun) is obsolete except in the world of Psychology.
    Thanks a lot guys!

Thats what i thought, it was just when i came across the word 'affect' being a noun (you're explanation of this part was gold! thnx) i was a bit stumped.

Thanks again.

And btw, cool site, v. helpful!

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    My understanding was that an actor can affect an accent which will have an effect on the way the performance effects the audience but the performance can not affect the audience.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    . said:
    My understanding was that an actor can affect an accent which will have an effect on the way the performance effects1 the audience but the performance can not affect2 the audience.

1 and 2 are in the wrong places, surely?

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    panjandrum said:
    May I suggest gently that this statement regarding the demise of the current use of the word is slightly exaggerated.

< Previous | Next >