affect as a noun

thtoan79

Vietnamese
Hello dears,

I have been reading a case for a while and here is the wording that makes me confuse about its meaning:"surveillance of trade measures used for environmental purposes, of
trade-related aspects of environmental measures which have significant trade affects, ..." (these words are the rewritten version of the principles of the Decision on Trade and Environment of Ministers at Marrakesh for Committee on Trade and Environment (CTE).)

As you can see, at the end of the quote stands the word "affect" as a noun, but as far as I know, "affect" as a noun only means something near to "emotion", so I'm kind of at a loss here, but I think they mean "effects" by using "affects". Ain't I right?

Thank you in advance.

• Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Without further investigation, I would agree that 'affects' seems unlikely. 'Effects' seems a lot likelier, but you should allow us to see the full sentence.

Smauler

British English
    It's just wrong. Affect is the verb, effect is the noun.

Occasionally you see effect as a verb (meaning to create, rather than change), but no one ever uses affect as a noun now. It's old use describes personal conditions... like a twitchy eye, or something. It's archaic.

< Previous | Next >