Affect German Children of Today

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Well, "Affect German Children of Today" means "Affect German today's Children"? But can it be simply written as "Affect German Children Today"? It is technically the same to me. I don't understand the nuance of the use of "of" here.

Harsh Nazi Parenting Guidelines May Still Affect German Children of Today
The Nazi regime urged German mothers to ignore the"toddlers’ emotional needs—the better to raise hardened soldiers and followers. Attachment researchers say that the harmful effects of that teaching may be affecting later generations

Source: Scientific American

• suzi br

English / England
    Nazi stuff is historical but the article suggests there is a legacy from it. Using “of today” indicates the current generation in a way that merely saying “today” does not achieve.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Thank you.
    Does "Affect German today's Children" have the same implication as using "of today"?

suzi br

English / England
    Thank you.
    Does "Affect German today's Children" have the same implication as using "of today"?
    Hmm. “Of today” is a little more marked.
    Obviously it’s not a huge difference and if they’d only written “today” I would not be thinking “oh, that’s wrong”.

However, “German today’s children” is not a grammatical phrase.

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US

suzi br

English / England
    Thank you.

If you’re interested in using ‘s instead of “of” you need a different word order:
    Today’s German Children.

It’s not as natural sounding as the original.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I think the meaning is "...may still affect how child-raising is done in modern Germany."
    The meaning becomes clearer to me.

But how "of" has made you native speakers completely aware of this meaning is not clear to me.

< Previous | Next >